Kessil

Fix high end light or not

Hey guys.
What would you do as I’m on the fence. I have a GHL mitras that is about 5 years old if I had to guess. It’s not powering up anymore. I cleaned it a few times in the past and it worked but now there’s just no power. The ballast is working fine. So my question is. What would you do ? Send it in for repairs or just get a new light. It was originally about 800.

Hey guys.
What would you do as I’m on the fence. I have a GHL mitras that is about 5 years old if I had to guess. It’s not powering up anymore. I cleaned it a few times in the past and it worked but now there’s just no power. The ballast is working fine. So my question is. What would you do ? Send it in for repairs or just get a new light. It was originally about 800.
I wouldn't put all your hopes on it, but realistically I don't think fixing old lights is worthwhile for the companies versus them just sending you a newer model or upselling you one at a big discount. If they fix it, they'll end up being partially on the hook for the next thing that goes wrong (either through policy or indirectly by you getting it and expecting).

Additionally, if you have it and it's broken, it's probably worth $0. If it's working, you can resale it for > $0.

So, imo, the rational answer is look at what you can resale it for. Compare that to the expected fix cost, including shipping. If it's comparable, outside of the time it'll take you, it's worth it. If not, it's a risk.

If they offer you a replacement, even for a charge, I'd always take it if you have the funds. You can always resell a new one for high values, and new means no wear on the leds and other electronics.

However it's a lot less work to just buy a new one and offer it up to anyone that wants to deal with that.

I base this on my experience using warranty replacements on all sorts of products, aquarium and elsewhere. I've almost always either had a complete blow off "can't help you, bugger off" experience or had a good one where I ended up with a better item afterwards. Just make sure to be nice to the customer support people. Their job sucks. People always give them grief, and being nice to them is good for humanity and good for you because they'll want to help you.

Maybe @thesassyindian can help you? Don’t know if he have time now with his newborn. He used to tinker with broken lights.
Happy to take a look!
But like @richiev said, you have to be reeeally lucky for the damage to be repairable.
Most of the time, if mosfets are damaged, they burn through multiple layers of the PCB.

Regardless, if they are already out of warranty, I’m happy to take a look.

Back