Neptune Aquatics

Flow Question

I have a mixed reef tank with a shallow sandbed and want to add more flow. My tank dimensions are 24" x 18" x 24" and I currently have a K3 and Mag 5 return. Any recommendations on how strong of a power head I should add?

A joke :) Jake Adams has done two talks locally on flow. He did a 4 part series of articles in Advanced Aquarist. Here's #1 http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/6/aafeature2/view?searchterm=

Haha, I thought it was a "special" power head that I missed. I went to his talk at one of the BAR meetings. The topic was gyre tanks. It seems like it would be hard to create a gyre in my cube without creating a sand storm, but I think Jake is against sand too. Is the vortech worth the $400?

I started out with korallias and now run a vortechMP40. My tank is 36x15x16 at 40g and is sandless with mixed species (frag tank). For me, it was worth it. If (when) I get a bigger tank, I'll get another vortech. If you are interested, keep an eye on CL, and the marketplace and FS forums etc. They can be had for as cheap as $300 (not common, but $350 is easy to come across)

Hey Gomer,

Kind of off topic, but how do you like having no sand? I have thought about going BB, but don't think I would have the patience to cook all my live rock.

You don't need to cook your rock if you go BB, it's basically the same as a DSB tank without the DSB.

What do you plan on keeping in your tank, that will determine what type of flow you need.

I'm mixed on BB but this is a frag tank. Sand does look nicer to me. .

(pure speculation to follow)
I think that BB has deminished the buffering capacity of the system. It also has helped with me maintaining super low nutrients (which isn't my goal. I've been feeding 1-2x a day fairly heavily with RN products but my skimmer barely pulls anything out)

I wouldn't mind going 100% SPS, but I don't think my 150 watt MH will reach 2 feet deep. I am planning on keeping SPS and LPS for now (I am addicted to Acans). Is it harder to keep LPS in a BB tank?

Interesting results Gomer. So do you find it is harder to keep Ca and Alk levels constant in a BB?

Back