Reef nutrition

Flow

I don't even know how to word this post, but basically, I'm still struggling to get good polyp extension, growth and color in my sps corals (but apart from that, they're doing fine :) ) ... except I forgot to mention some of them are getting a little pale too...

I haven't thought much about flow recently so I thought I'd gather some input.

I have a 100g. 5' by 19'' by 21'' ( I think ). My return pump: Pan World 100PX-X 1270gph, feeds a wavy see mounted center back of the tank and sweeping about 140 degrees.

Then I have a 6060 and 1 6080 Tunze, at each end... one pushes left to right and sort of in front of the rock work and the other right to left sort of behind the rock work. The Tunzes are highish in the tank but not high enough to suck air from surface. They move the sand into drifts and leave some of the tank bottom bare but don't lift the sand anymore... there is no algae matts of cyano in the tank that I am aware of.

I don't think my overflow would cope with a bigger return pump, I've to remove a couple of teeth to stop the water hitting the acrylic at the top of the tank.

Do I need to get more flow? I thought about tucking some smaller tunzes down lower and pointing up at an angle behind the rockwork. Thought about closed loops but don't want to drill any holes as I can't really get to the back of the tank.

-Adrian

I concur with Jeremy.

Sometimes it also has to do with rock placement. A somewhat solid rock face is going to deflect wave movement.

I have checked for pests... once upon a time I had redbugs and the effects were similar. But I can't find any this time. I'll check closer again.

Yes, mainly just frags. I have one milli that is a big colony that has survived everything I've done badly, although it's stopped growing with most of the other inhabitants.

I think I have too much rock. It's not solid though... My fish have no trouble swimming through it.

Thanks for the input guys.

You have enough flow. I have av ery similar setup. Same panworld on wavy sea in center back. I have two vortechs on each end.

Have you made any changes? Added carbon, or have alk spikes?

I have been trying to avoid changes in the last few months after slowly killing my tank with the help of faulty salinity readings over a long period.

I can't get back to where I used to be with polyp extension and colour. It never used to be an issue.. dose ALk and CA, change lights carefully now and then, enjoy.... now it's become much harder.

However, I just noticed that my Ponape Torch and a couple of the millies that i got at the frag swap and I thought weren't growing are starting to "puddle".. i.e. lay down some tissue on the rock at glue where they were attached... so I'm getting some growth.

I think the colour is looking a little better too so I'll keep on making no changes and observing more closely.

Sounds like you have a little more flow with 4 votechs or at least more coverage.
-Adrian

Back