Jestersix

FRAG RACKS THAT HANG ON OVERFLOWS ?

So after my tank upgrade , I decided to do away with all the magnetic frag racks all around my tank (not very attractive all around glass viewing areas). Started thinking that if I did place a couple of frag racks .....I would probably choose to have them on my overflows (2 overflows in my tank) and that way they would not be in plain sight on front of tank ......but are there such racks ? Mag rack would not work because not enough space in between overflow baffles and even if I managed to squeeze a magnet in there ...if one fell I would never get it out.

So the rack would either have to hang off of the teeth area on top or possibly over the top edge of overflow. Is there such a rack ?

Sergio

Cool idea!

Wouldn't be too hard to get a magnet out of the overflow baffle, you could use one of those telescoping magnetic arms they sell at the orange box (look like these http://www.allmagnetics.com/hardware/pickuptools.htm. Seems a magnetic shelf of some kind would be your best bet if you wanted to use your overflow, just make sure it's not large enough to limit the flow to your pipes.

I often think about what a waste those overflows are. I was considering a way to add live rock to one without detritus accumulating, but haven't come up with anything reliable yet.

Hey Sergio. You shouldn't have a problem using the mag-frag racks as long as the magnet in the overflow is coated. The one's I made for my old tank would work great. TAP carries these little caps that hold the magnet with 2part resin and you could use them on the inside and outside of the overflow. I think I have an old DIY thread out there for the ones I made.

Sergio - That is a very cool idea! I have some clear acrylic laying around the garage I can use to test this out with if you're up for a DIY project?

I haven't wanted to put a frag rack in 1) because I don't have any frags yet mainly and 2) I didn't want it sticking out in the tank. Maybe something with a single row or maybe two that will hug the overflow won't look too bad!

~Charlie

Charlie

I started thinking how with the upgrade and thicker glass .....had to double up on mags on outside of tank but I'm thinking overflows are plastic so maybe I can put a magnet on the inside of overflow....just wondering how much the space between the overflow walls will hinder the magnets ability to hold on to the frag rack side.

Sergio

Magnets would work I would think. I also thought that it'd be a pita to get the mags when I drop them down the overflow too though. I was thinking a simple hanger would work.

The attached image is a very rudimentary quick sketch but you get the idea. I was also thinking that you can go over the top of the overflow too instead of over the top of the tank. You'd want to make the "hanger" narrower so you don't block the flow I would think.

~Charlie

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/OverflowRack.jpg

Serg, if you made your own you could curve the magents in the resin before it dried or use bigger magnets. KJ magnets and TAP and you are good to go. Actually, I think I have everything you need in my garage if you want to come by. You would just need to bring a paper template of your OF and the egg crate.

Back