Our mission

Gallery and Old PMs Going Away

Hey folks. We're planning to shut down the old web site software, SMF. This means that the gallery and the old private messages system will no longer be accessible. If you have images in the gallery or important messages in the old PM system, please retrieve them!

Prior to shutting down SMF, I'll be transferring attachments that didn't make the transition.

This will probably happen in about two weeks. I'll send one last notice a couple days beforehand. Let me know if you have any questions or need help retrieving your photos or PMs.

www.photobucket.com It's free and you can do simple editing/resizing too :) There are other image host options as well, but it is what I've been migrating to.

Does this change how we upload pics? I just take pics from my pc and upload it to the site, but I checked the gallery and there are no pics of mine, so is that feature part of this? or is it just the gallery?

Pretty sure just the old gallery (which is SMF based). The ATTACH option for posts here is DRUPAL based so should be safe.

Gomer said:
www.photobucket.com It's free and you can do simple editing/resizing too :) There are other image host options as well, but it is what I've been migrating to.

Well a member or two of power (I can't remember who), tried to push the use of the BAR gallery to jazz things up or something, the downside is now all that jazzing is gone, in fact it's why I am really hesitant to upload photos to BAR at all since if this site goes down/changes/crashes/etc, then you could very well lose some photos. Heck my 180g tank thread is missing most of the photos in the transition over, *shrug* not sure if it was because they were attached or the copying of the message simply copied the text (because an edit doesn't show any URL).

I should use photobucket more, I like imageshack.us simply because it's super easy to go to and upload, the downsize is the location of the photos are a mystery! So keep the photos in a secure place... on your own hard drive :D

Uploads are from your computer, so if you loose the online image, it is because you lost it on your computer ;) (and I'm one to talk because I've retardedly deleted some stuff from my comp before)
the SMF gallery isn;t going poof instantly. You have had and still have plenty of time to get your images.

Erick said:
Does this change how we upload pics? I just take pics from my pc and upload it to the site, but I checked the gallery and there are no pics of mine, so is that feature part of this? or is it just the gallery?

That won't change. When you upload an image directly to a thread it's an attachment and doesn't go into the gallery.

sfsuphysics said:
Heck my 180g tank thread is missing most of the photos in the transition over, *shrug* not sure if it was because they were attached or the copying of the message simply copied the text (because an edit doesn't show any URL).

That's because I still haven't transferred attachments over. I'm planning to do that before SMF goes away, so photos that were uploaded directly to threads should re-appear soon. I'm sorry that's taken so long!

This will probably happen in about two weeks. I'll send one last notice a couple days beforehand.
Right now, this is the "firm" schedule. The softness may have to do more with her availability to make it happen.

Back