got ethical husbandry?

Generic T5 fixture

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
Is there any reason why I couldn’t use a generic T5 fixture inside my canopy - where looks don’t matter? Will it corrode?

Something like this

Durolux DL842SR T5 4Ft 2 Fluorescent Lamps Grow Lighting System with 10000 Lumens and 6500K Full Spectrum and Super Low Profile 5.3" Wide Reflector (4-FT 2-Bulb | Wide) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0821XTG7Z/

I don't think it should matter too much, I'm sure it being in the canopy will increase the corrosion factor, but probably not by enough to make it not worth it given the relatively low expense of these fixtures.

This is what is over my tank, and while not in a canopy it was pretty close to the water level, but did fine. The only thing that corroded somewhat quickly were the hooks I suspended it with. I did have 1 out 8 bulbs start to dim, which was due to the fixture an not the bulb, but I think that could be attributed to normal wear and tear

With T5 bulbs it's all about the reflectors used, now quick look at that fixture shows a dimpled 3 side (kinda.. more like 2.5 side) flat reflector, which may not reflect the light into the tank as you like, seriously a good t5 parabolic reflector can make almost 300% the light compared to a bare bulb. Now how that translates to this reflector, I don't know. You could always buy it and test it versus an existing T5 lamp.

I've added T5's to multiple hoods. I agree the reflector makes a difference, but not enough for me to spend a bunch more for a fancy one. I've purchased at least 6 or so sets of these from Amazon, Vivosun has always been good for me.

Back