Kessil

Green Slime Algae?

I found some RED SLIME ALGAE in my 34g growing on a rock. I also found some GREEN SLIME ALGAE growing on another rock. I managed to remove the red since it was on a small rock, but the green is on one of my base rocks. I have some Chemiclean that removes cyano bacteria which I'm guessing is red slime algae since it says so on the box. I've only used it once on my 14g and that's it. It worked very well and didn't harm anything but the algae. Will it work the same for the green slime algae in my 34g? If not, what do I need to do? Since red and green slime algae are popping up, does that mean that the hair algae that I'm getting might be due to the same source?

Cyanobacteria aka Blue Green algae

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/cyanointro.html

What are your PO4 and NO3 looking like?
Fish? Feeding? Is there enough water movement in the areas that the cyanobacteria is springing up?
Manual removal is effective because cyanobacteria generally comes off surfaces fairly easy; just use some airline tubing (and rigid airline tubing too if you want), albeit this only temporarily solution to the problem.

What is PO4 and NO3? ???
I have a siphoning hose for my aquarium to do water changes so I'll do a water change tomorrow and suck it out with the siphon.

Phosphate and Nitrate, do you have a test kit suitable for reefs?

Calcium
Phosphate
Nitrate
Nitrite
Ammonia
Alkalinity
Magnesium
PH

I have a test kit for every one of those. Let me go test...

ok I'm back with the results...

Nitrate - 5 ppm or less
Phosphate - 0.25ppm or less

I have those color cards and the 1st colors on the card are 0, 2nd colors are next highest number, and so on. Both of those were the 2nd color and the 1st color meant 0. So I don't think it's that bad...

Back