Kessil

Gyre recommendations?

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I thought I was done with the tech part for now but looks like I would need a gyre, due to some dead spots in the tank.

I am planning to place them upright in both left and right corners.

Seems like most do not have a fantastic rating, app issues, hard to clean etc. Not sure if there are any clear winners? Or thoughts against gyres in general?

IMG_1400.jpeg

I don't recommend any of them. I have tried (I think) four different brands, and while I love their flow patterns, I have yet to keep one running beyond a year or so. They just don't last. So if you really feel you need one, then buy a cheaper brand.

I don't recommend any of them. I have tried (I think) four different brands, and while I love their flow patterns, I have yet to keep one running beyond a year or so. They just don't last. So if you really feel you need one, then buy a cheaper brand.
+1. He speaks the truth. It’s like a hot gf. Great at the beginning then just a bunch of maintenance all the time. lol.

@under_water_ninja runs them in his display vertically and so does @SepToob

I still haven't set mine up yet, but if you run Hydros then it's a pretty easy integration with the wave engine.

Cleaning sounds like it's a big problem, especially with the weird tolerances for the parts when you disassemble, so a lot of people just run them in a bucket with citric acid for cleaning. The other trick I've heard is to mount it in dark areas to avoid algae growth.

I had an icecap I bought second hand here and it ran with no maintenance for around a year. I then had to replace a little rubber piece and it's running as my water mixing pump now.

While it was broken I replaced it with a reef wave 45 because I wanted something quieter and needed a replacement pump quicker than my part would arrive.

I've had no maintenance issues otherwise. I can't explain why, but maybe it's because it's at the edge of my tank and I have a bunch of herbivores, including urchins.

I don’t know about a clear winner, but I’ve been using MaxSpect Gyres for years without any more issues than other types of flow generating pumps. You have to clean them, which a lot of folks don’t do.

I also use the Maxspect gyres (350s), with a Hydros wave engine. The pumps only are super cheap, and I avoid all the power bricks and outlets going this route. It’s been pretty good!

The performance falls off sharply after about a month, but I noticed it’ll then “plateau” for awhile after that which is where I let them live now, just cranked up a little higher. They move a TON of water.

Out of the 4 I have (they’re so cheap I run two and swap them out for fresh pumps when cleaning) one magnet swelled and started rusting pretty quickly, so I’d recommend an occasional deep clean for sure.

Just had a chat with someone else who also recommended adding a third MP40 over a gyre. The complex cleaning process bothers me.
The problem with the complex cleaning problem for most of us is a huge issue. If it's complex, we tend not to do it as often as we should (this doesn't apply to JVU who is meticulous). Our good intentions to be diligent and on top of them almost always ends in disaster.

Agreed. It's not even that hard to clean, it's the frequency of cleaning needed that makes me procrastinate it. I've only had experience with the Icecap gyres. They would lose power and make a terrible whine up and down noise when they get clogged. I do get tempted to try them again though because I love the flow pattern.

I run Octo Pulse pumps because aesthetically I think wires inside the tank are less visually obtrusive than motor blocks and wires hanging outside the tank. That and I can point them in angled positions.

Relooked at this post again today. Still wanted to buy a gyre but was convinced again that it is not a good idea.

Will buy two additional MP40s when they are on sale again and also bought this to try out, to achieve similar angles that @CaseyP probably gets with his octo pulse pumps, will see and post this on my journal.

IMG_1447.jpeg

Back