Our mission

HELP! 40g breeder stand question

Hi eveyone,

I have a 40 breeder form aqueon (standard black framed glass tank) the tank is on a flat surface stand (like a counter top). Everything has been leveld. The water level is within one to two sixteenths of an inch left to right. My question is with the are of contact between the tank and the stand.

All four corners have gapless contact. There are however a few very small gaps. I can slide a thin 15inch metal ruler under the bottom of the rim (front of the tank) between the rim and the stand approximately 5-6 inches in either dirrection. This is also present on one of the sides, to a lesser degree.

Any suggestions? Should i drain the tank and level it with insulation foam?

As the front of the tank bows out due to water pressure, it will cause the sides to rise up slightly.
You probably have the same gap in the back.

Without knowing the tank, I really cannot say what is best.
Me - I like Styrofoam underneath for insulation anyway.
But you could also just gently shim it.

Virtually every time I take the easier path and let "future David" worry about a problem, I end up cursing "past David" for neglecting to deal with something before it became a bigger problem. ;)

"Past David" is a jerk. :p

mediumrare said:
I ended up putting 1/2 inch insulating foam under it. Emptied it almost all the way, and put it in in halves. :)
Hard Styrofoam I hope?
Not soft foam that will push up against the bottom glass.

Back