Cali Kid Corals

Help choosing dry rock?

Hey all, I am going to add some more rock to my 37g tank.

Basically in the areas I shared red, right now there is no rock.
-7WIN_b4J6k4REQ_gqxhVTiN55IK-RErihSO-IEbswesZiK5bjDuRPwIqxP8Z8NxM1UTFTV9AMgvraEhDEPVrwbkD0sK-d08ltxMiChE8FFbky-GLlMD5Hk4xjHMZDsQL2RTMHpsFcTcnMeCF1j_DoMoLpbOWNoJXajvPj2-jHoJDR3CB8tlXAjIJPHi2klHNMVWtW0YWV_7oDUuAU1VMyhEzv7ayl05NkldpzopfC_MdKXI7rFwedYaVwZe9LFViZyBR0zbY54LhIVxlnYGzQkiUW41dY1yBWvv1Mx25PiFs4qXRmDf6s0sHXDo9bqy92t2rmhLD0KQEFFEe90n59vCyzoSZ8RZtN6Knp7dQ3cfNQNtSFgBe2THyhg_DJeFxwYhPB9OqYxGkfS4D9eDnl-oU85u0Q9EfBGt-eH6SgG-xwHbJThDwhcIZui_Ne5kPk-_529khYqF1p7fSTQPf9BmhwjFpMfMc7KmhPiCSHqEg-W9JkuG68gz_TnTSClxWiAlQyDEdPc5erBqtx8Mwh9Xg3Rfgv3aWx0nnNKY0Pka=w1212-h808-no

My plan is to make the typical "wall of rock" so that there is rock from the left to the right. I'll also wrap around the rock low down on the left.

Anyways, I'm thinking of just getting some dry rock.

What's everyone's opinions on the following products?
  • BRS Pukani - I'm almost thinking the pieces are going to be too big for what I need.
  • BRS ReefSaver - looks like the pieces are smaller and kinda what I'm looking for.
I'm thinking I should probably check what is available at Neptune since they're close as well.

The brs pukani will need to be cooked and cycled. I had great success with the reef savers. Cheaper and cleaned with no need to cook. Just give it a nice wash with the hose ;)

Ca reef co carries some as well I believe

The brs pukani will need to be cooked and cycled. I had great success with the reef savers. Cheaper and cleaned with no need to cook. Just give it a nice wash with the hose ;)

Ca reef co carries some as well I believe
Ugh yeah don't have room for cooking and curing. It'd have to be done outside on my balcony and knowing my luck I'd end up with a dead squirrel in the bin or something stupid. I'm hoping for something clean enough to just dump in and use. If the reef saver is clean enough sounds like a win.

Only problem with California Reef Co is they're a 45min drive away. :). Still can't drive in my cast.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hrm. Reading more reviews and I really like the look of the pukani. Just don't want to deal with a cure. Only a reefer can get so caught up in a box of rocks.

Neptunes has nice dry rock too.

I recommend the Real Reef Rock.

I think artificial reef rock will be the new trend. And they are getting their production process down, each new generation of Real Reef rock is looking more and more realistic with more and more pore space.

It's all gonna function the same if not very similar as rock from the reefs. Once you get coraline algae growing on it....it's gonna be the same color. and looking at your tank it won't look much different especially if you throw some coral on there.

1. Best of all, you're not relying on some diver going out into the ocean with a hammer and destroying coral reef foundations.
  2. And you're not relying on some hobbyist's dried reef rock which could have been absorbing Copper from when he tried to rid his tank of ich.

Real Reef all the way baby! My current tank is all recycled reef rock....but my next tank will be 100% Real Reef.

Last edited:
I'll have to pop in and check their selection out.

I had made some really nice rock in the past so I have no doubt that the manufactured and inland mined rock can be pretty nice . Just prior to moving I had for a 34g Solana tank finished cycling with my own diy rock. I was tempted to pack it and move it but I'm sure the movers would have been unimpressed. :)

Okay a trip to Neptune is in order.

Hmm, I'm on the fence with that real reef rock too. I'm probably going to get reef saver like I always do haha
I may end up giving the pukani a try and just curing it on the patio. I like how much more porous it is. Man only a reefer can obsess over rocks.

I had good luck building our aquascape with BRS Fiji and BRS Reef Saver rocks. For your use the reef saver is probably fine.

You might want to cure it in buckets or just beef up your nitrate/phosphate export for whatever cooks off if you add it directly. I rinsed/scraped our dry rock but didn't soak or cook it. The die off in terms of organic matter on the surface fed our tank cycle without any trouble, other than a massive chaeto growth spurt in our refugium.

Back