got ethical husbandry?

Help! Corris wrasse upside down

Arvin R

Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

My corris wrasse is stuck upside-down and very lethargic. He was swimming just fine earlier today. A couple days ago he was twirling while swimming. His fins are severely frayed and his bladder is pretty bloated. I have him in HT right now and dosed metro plex and kanaplex (I don't really have any other meds than this on hand).

None of the other fish in his tank show any signs of issues.

Is there anything else I can do for him/her?

Hi everyone,

My corris wrasse is stuck upside-down and very lethargic. He was swimming just fine earlier today. A couple days ago he was twirling while swimming. His fins are severely frayed and his bladder is pretty bloated. I have him in HT right now and dosed metro plex and kanaplex (I don't really have any other meds than this on hand).

None of the other fish in his tank show any signs of issues.

Is there anything else I can do for him/her?

You post this over on humble.fish yet?

Anything I can do other than try and feed green peas? He ate a couple pieces of mysis just a bit ago but wouldn't touch the deskinned and crushed green peas at all.
From HumbleFish.
4. Swim bladder disorder
Symptoms:
Fish swims vertically with its tail up. Basically, the back half of the fish will seem more buoyant than the front half, and the fish will swim in a way to compensate for that. The fish may also stay near the surface of the water (or even float), unable to swim downwards. A protrusion (i.e. gas bubble) may be visible near the swim bladder area. In most cases, swim bladder disorders are caused by improper decompression of deep water species of fish.
Treatment: If a gas bubble is present, you can lance the air out using a 30 gauge insulin syringe. For swim bladder infections, the following are possible treatment options:
(1) Dose magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salt) at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.
(2) Give the affected fish a 30 minute Methylene Blue bath.
(3) Dose Metronidazole in conjunction with Neomycin. (You can food soak this combination as well.)

Does your main tank have sand? Coris wrasses needs sand so they can burrow underneath and sleep. You should add a piece of pvc in that tank so it can hide and not be as stressed. Turn off the lights as well. Hope it’ll recover!

Does your main tank have sand? Coris wrasses needs sand so they can burrow underneath and sleep. You should add a piece of pvc in that tank so it can hide and not be as stressed. Turn off the lights as well. Hope it’ll recover!
Yea main tank has sand. I added a small container of sand for its QT tank.

Pretty wrasse...any idea what would have caused the severed frayed fins? Seems like a connection unless he frayed his own just by spinning against rocks from the bladder issue..I've used the needle method alot releasing lake trout successfully but never on aquarium fish..Hope he pulls through

Pretty wrasse...any idea what would have caused the severed frayed fins? Seems like a connection unless he frayed his own just by spinning against rocks from the bladder issue..I've used the needle method alot releasing lake trout successfully but never on aquarium fish..Hope he pulls through
Not sure how his fins got frayed unfortunately. I did see my cleaner shrimp jumping at him as I was pulling him out of the DT. He was still breathing this morning when I left for work. I'm going to pick up some neoplex today and start dosing that plus metro.

Doing my best to help this guy pull through. It was the first fish my wife ever picked out back when she wasn't even interested in my reef tanks.

Back