Our mission

Help Me Plan Equipment : IM 40L

fishy408

Supporting Member
I wanted to keep this thread separate from my build thread. The idea is to get some advice on the the equipment that I may need for this setup. I am planning on using some of the equipment in storage, but realize some might be oversized for the smaller 40g tank.

Tank Plan: Frag Tank - LPS

IM 40L Specs and APS Stand:
Aquarium:

• Approximately 40 Gallons
  • Outside DIMS: Length 35.4” Width: 19.7” Height: 13”
  • Solid Glass Overflow DIMS: 7.9" x 3.5" x 5.9"
  • 2 - 1" Pre-drilled "Herbie" Overflow [Primary Drain and Emergency Drain]
  • 2 - 3/4" - Pre-drilled Return Hole
  • Glass Thickness: 8mm
  • Pre-Installed Rubber Leveling Mat
  • Included Plumbing: 1 - 1" Slip x Slip BulkHead [Overflow], 1 - 1" Slip x Slip BulkHead w/ 1" Diameter E-Drain Pipe [Overflow], 2 - 3/4" BulkHead with LOC-LINE w/ Flare Nozzle [Return]
  • Recommended Return Pump Flow Rate: 200 - 400 GPH
Equipment in Storage: (I am thinking I can possibly use all of the older equipment if I use them at lower speeds, but not sure)
  • Lighting 2 or 3 (XR15) - Will 2 or 3 lights be enough? Will be using 2x XR15 with Mobius.
  • Powerhead 2 (MP40) - Will the flow be too strong for a 40g LPS tank at it's lower speeds? Will be using 2x MP10
  • Return Pump Varios 6 - Is this too strong at it's lowest speed? Will plan on having return --UV- then split to dual returns Will be using Varios 6
  • Refugium Light Kessil H380 - Will try this in the refugium section when tank is more mature.
  • UV 57 Watt Aqua - Will add this the system, if the water gets too warm, then downgrade to a lower watt UV.
  • Reef Octopus 150 Regal Protein Skimmer - Will use this, it will fit into the sump foot print for the skimmer section.
  • Doser GHL Will add this later when the system is more matured.
  • Added: 300w and 500w finnex heater Will add both heaters.
  • Neptune Apex: Will add the Apex.
Equipment to purchase
  • Sump (looking at these two: Fiji 20/ or maybe Fiji 24) Decided on Triton v2 26.
  • Plumping - I will need to plan this out more thoroughly. Plumbing Diagramed.
  • Nice Frag Fracks - Display Frag ranks, haven't looked into it yet.
  • Other Items that I may not be considering?
thanks!

Last edited:
I use 2x MP40 on my Red Sea Reefer 250. I run them both on the lowest reef crest setting. I can only keep LPS on the bottom 1/3rd of my 21" tank. I think you'll have too much flow for most LPS on a 13" deep tank. Maybe running 1x MP40 on the back wall would work? Torches seem like they can handle and appreciate more flow than other LPS... So maybe depends on what species you plan on keeping.

I use 2x MP40 on my Red Sea Reefer 250. I run them both on the lowest reef crest setting. I can only keep LPS on the bottom 1/3rd of my 21" tank. I think you'll have too much flow for most LPS on a 13" deep tank. Maybe running 1x MP40 on the back wall would work? Torches seem like they can handle and appreciate more flow than other LPS... So maybe depends on what species you plan on keeping.
Makes a lot of sense. Most likely will be downgrading the mp40 for this tank. thanks.

Mp10 won't stick to an IM50g thick glass. Could be same with 40g
That's an overkill UV.

Thanks. I have a MP10 I can try out on the 40 and seeing if it will stick before moving in that direction.

Update: checked the stats. Looks like MP10 will work.
  • 50 EXT glass is 10mm thickness
  • 40l glass is 8mm thickness
  • MP10 supports 9.5 mm

Last edited:
I have a Red Sea 250. I have a couple of apex wavs from last tank (90 gallon) -which are a bit “big” and I put the power down to 1^ did pick up an octo pulse 2 which I like a lot. DC pump with 0-10v input which connects to apex.

What do you guys think of this plumbing?

Modified plumbing 2-20

1676934088181.png

Last edited:
I might worry about how much heat a 57 watt UV will add to 40g of water. But that can easily be checked once you are up and running.

Back