Neptune Aquatics

Help with identification

Hello everyone was wondering if anyone could help identify these corals...

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 227
Yeah first one looks to be a favia of some sort. Second is some sort of ricordia, going strictly by the coloration... it may be a yuma since those orange colored ones tend to be quite common

Thanks everyone. Another question. Would i leave these corals on the plug or remove them and attach them to rock. If so how do you go about doing this without damaging the coral?

You could do either. Leaving it on the plug so you can move it around until you absolutely decide where the best place is, or if you know where you want it simply pop it off the plug. Neither of those too pictures looks like they grew onto the plug at all, the favia is probably just glued down, and the ricordia probably attached to that shell and then they glued that to the plug.

Easiest way is to pull the plug out, grab a flat head screw driver, and slide it under give it a twist and it should pop right off, if you decide to want to go that route.

Left picture is some kind of Favia. Right picture is a Ricordea yuma.

As for removing them off the plug, that's up to you. You can use epoxy to stick the plugs directly on the rock or take the coral off the plug and then put them where you want.

To remove them off the plug. Sometimes this can be done without damaging the coral. Sometimes it can't. It depends on the coral and how much has grown onto the plug.

Ricordeas are a soft coral, a mushroom essentially. This means they have no skeleton.

You have to be careful not to cut the flesh for ricordea. It looks like you can use bone cutters to break off the base of which the ricordea is attached to. You can't glue the tissue of ricordea but you can glue the piece of rock that its attached to. Sometimes they die if you glue their flesh directly, as with most soft corals.

So lets say you got the ricordea off the plug and you glued himomewhere. If he's stressed, he might decide to move, yeah they can move slowly, off the rock and attach somewhere else. OR he might detach and float around the tank stinging corals or getting stung and then die. Not to worry, if he detaches just put a shotglass in your tank with some rock rubble. The shotglass gives him an environment to attach to the rock rubble.

As for the Favia, you'll have to make the call on how bad you want him off the plug. If he's grown(as in lay down skeleton) onto the plug, it will be hard and you might want to break off the plug with bonecutters. Often times, I'll use a flathead screwdriver and a small hammer to chisel corals off, making sure I'm chiseling the superglue and not the coral itself. That picture looks like you could give him a little chisel or try the bone cutters.

That favia can grow off from that plug. The Yuma can and will also cover the plug and can bud off, not much a yuma expert.

But most of the favias I've had all grew over their plugs and onto the rocks which they encrusted.,

I have had more luck using a razor blaze to separate frags from their plug. It's easier to get through the glue between the plus and the coral than a screw driver and less likely to chisel off a piece of the coral. If you have to use more force than you can easily apply with a razor blade in your hand, you may be better off breaking off as much of the plug as you can with bone cutters and mounting what's left directly.

I've found even with SPS that are partially encrusted on a plug, I can usually get a razor blade underneath them.

Back