High Tide Aquatics

Honey bath

Hey.
I was watching some German videos on saltwater aquariums. A guy said he does honey baths for hurt corals and it works really well. Has anyone heard of this or tried it. It’s new to me. Thoughts ???

• Wow
Reactions: JVU
I believe the ancient Egyptians used honey on wounds, and I’ve heard of it having healing properties.
I haven’t heard about it being used on corals. But......
Did you see the ailment that it was used to treat?
What was the method?

My ex wife was a wound care nurse. They frequently use honey on wounds. It has envymes to fight infection and anti bacterial properties.

It might be worth expiramenting with.

Link to video?

Is the honey diluted? You wouldn't want to have honey get back into the tank where the sugars are going to be an uncontrolled carbon source...

Link to video?

Is the honey diluted? You wouldn't want to have honey get back into the tank where the sugars are going to be an uncontrolled carbon source...
The guy on the video said. Honey and aminos for 50 minute bath. Then back into the aquarium. But he didn’t say how much of each.
If the coral was in there for 50 mins, I would suspect it would be wildly diluted. My guess would be no more than 10% honey (just a guess though); even that seems like a lot.

Who speaks German? We need a link and a transcript!

There are powerful antimicrobial properties of honey, some we understand scientifically and some we don’t yet. I’m intrigued but always skeptical.

I LOVE HONEY!! Honey varies greatly depending on food sources near the hive averaging 1 mile to 5ish miles depending on availability..If food is close they stay close so the honey will be processed from the same trees or flowers giving it the same flavor and makeup. When I drive up north through all the orchards in Marysville area I buy at least 5 different types of honey. Just wondering if that may make any difference of what type of honey he used?. I'm not up to speed on German honey crops or orchards but the honey will still vary alot in Germany from the area to area like here.
Go Niners!!!

Found this in the comments,

Take a teaspoon of honey. Put it into 2-3l of seawater with 1-2 drops of any amino. Than mix it up and put the corals in for 15 min. Afterwards just put the corals back. Thats it

Doesn’t seem to be from the dude that posted the video but someone else in the comments.

I’m doing it now on some zoas that I have. It’s been closed for 3 weeks. I freshwater dipped it in hydrogen peroxide about a week ago. It did nothing. I’ll update this if it works.
I used a teaspoon of honey and about 10ml of acro power. Not sure of the water amount

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 115
I’m doing it now on some zoas that I have. It’s been closed for 3 weeks. I freshwater dipped it in hydrogen peroxide about a week ago. It did nothing. I’ll update this if it works.
I used a teaspoon of honey and about 10ml of acro power. Not sure of the water amount
That’s definitely not 2-3L. I would guess about 250ml.

Curious to see if it helps.

I assume this treatment is to prevent infection of damaged tissues since that's how honey is used on people.

BTW, wound care is done with medical grade honey, not just something off the shelf. I don't know what that entails for sourcing honey but it's an interesting subject.

That’s definitely not 2-3L. I would guess about 250ml.
Nice!! Way to go with the honey bath don't know unless we experiment solutions...One thing comes to mind about vodka dosing with the sugars in alcohol that may play a role to some extent?

Back