Neptune Aquatics

How do you stop your Montis from taking over your tank?

I used to like them because they were the easiest sps to keep but they are taking over my tank. How do you guys stop it from growing and encrusintg on to rocks?

Heehee....I'm no expert on sps and you are welcome to get frags. I think when I setup this tank, I made the mistake of putting them on top and now it's shading alot of my other corals. Plus it's encrusting on to many of the rocks that I really like. They are like gsp.

You could put your existing monti's on rocks (like rock slices or rubble) with superglue then once they cover that material cut the edge and twist them to break the superglue and start over again. It sounds kinda like a pain but should work. You could also put them in a colony of something that can hold it back. I have a rock with monit surrounded by zoa's and it appears to be staying in control. Here is a pic. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I was told this was monti but it doesn't have polyps like I've seen in some frags) I've been eyeing some monti at my LFS so if you plan on handing stuff out keep me in mind.

Those are all great idea but what if they already encrusted on area you didn't want them to be. Could you use kalk paste like you do with aptasia?

As for the main colony which I'm hoping will go to Albany Aquarium. If not, I'll probably donate it to Steinhart. This is just a green encrusing monti so don't get your hopes up. It is a very nice green with excellent polyp extension. It's around 18x14 inches. I still have it on some other rocks. The other are a brown encrusting monti with purple polyp but I only see the purple polyp on the edges so it looks brown to me. Heehee. Also, a orange cap about 12x12 inches with some blue encrusting monti on the same rock. I'm thinking about selling/trading that one for someone with a big tank. I also have a green cap with purple rim about 4x4 inches which I like but should of move to the lower part of the tank. Some digi of green, orange and purple shade. Those are more barable though.

I use epoxy putty, break all branches or plates away mix it up and place on encrusting area. You don't have to be super firm, just give it a good cover, after a few days you can peel it back, chip it away or leave it. Orange polyp green body digi, orange cap, peltiformis, purple digi, have all become borderline pests in my tank.

I could also give you some Hydnophora, just drop a chunk of that on any coral and bye-bye.

Thanks Tuberider. I will definately try the epoxy first. I would say they are boderline pest for me too. When they started to grow out, I was like WOW I didn't want to mess with a good thing. Then they got bigger and I was too lazy to keep trimming them. They started to get on other rocks and actually kill part of my blue millie. They also shaded a couple of my clams and other corals. Now I have to do something.

i just take it to your lfs and they're give some credit for it or donated to BAR frags swap like i did 2 years ago.i broke mine into about 40 peaces and bag them .i remenber Jame help me bag them since i got so many at the time.:)

lapsan

Any day is good Jim, just give me a call.

Lap,
I was going to frag that but Jim said I should preserve it since it was show piece. I'll still have some left on the other rocks and that's what I'm afraid will spread out of control.

Mike,
I still have some montis I like to keep. lol

Back