Kessil

How long do your RO cartridges last?

alve

Tonight I noticed that my 44g Brute RO/DI can was pretty much empty and it should always stay full with the float switch mounted in it. When I checked my RO/DI unit it showed 0 pressure on the gauge.
I had that happening about 2 months ago. The cartridges were completely clogged up again. Luckily I always have spare ones ready so I swapped them out and all good again.
I do biweekly 30-35g water changes and use it for top off.
Is this normal that they only last that long until they clog up completely?

I have the same problem. It is with the carbon filter. Once I replace it the pressure goes back up in my unit. That is the only one I need to replace. Perhaps I should change out the sediment filter as well. I think there must be something in our local water clogging them up.

One thing I forgot to mention and that might have something to do with it is that they are the chloramine filter cartridges?
It just surprises me that they clog up completely.

I always read in posts from people mentioning that they have an algae problem that they are getting asked how long ago they changed their cartridges on their RO unit. Mine don't get old, they just seem to clog up...

I am not sure which one clogs for me, I always changed all three of them. The sediment filter gets dark brown and the 2nd stage cartridge doesn't look too good either. Only the third stage stays clean. Definitely keeps me from drinking tap water when you see how those cartridges look like after 2 months :)

Looks like I will be placing another order with the reefguys :)

Ok I'm going to sound like one of those water purification experts that posts on RC but I'm really not :D

A typical setup (and by typical I mean usually what they give you with your system when you buy it) is you'll get a 5-micron sediment filter and 2 5-micron carbon filters (carbon block filters are best though as you don't have to worry about "carbon fines" clogging up some filter down the road). Now you'd think no problem the sediment filter is 5 microns so that should snatch up anything that could potentially clog up the carbon filter. Not quite the 5 micron filter actually can let some things in under certain circumstances as big as 10micron! As they don't go around and check all the holes to make sure they're exactly 5 micron :D

What I've gone to is a 4 stage prefilter, where I have a 5 micron then a 1 micron sediment filter, then my 2 carbon filters. However depending how fast it goes through you might get away with a single carbon filter, there's a particular contact time water needs with the carbon to strip out the chloramines can't recall what that is off the top of my head however, but sometimes have two carbons is nice just for the added protection.

Before you order new filters, I would first find what the problem is, take out one filter, then turn the water back on, put it back in then take out another filter, etc until you find which one is clogging your system. However the fact that your pressure dropped to zero is quite strange, you should get a bit of trickle through there at the least! Unless your water pipes have so much gunk in them.... you might want to go with a 5 micron then 1 micron sediment filter if that's the case.

Back