Kessil

How to clean Kessil optics?

houser

Past President
I'm looking at the difference between a brand new A150W and an old A150W. Big difference in intensity due to the cover on the old one being quite clouded. I tried to clean the external surface with wipes and IPA, but no luck. It seems it's on the inner surface. But how to get at it?

It's a lot less "point source" with the clouded optic (think diffuser) than the brand new one btw...

Nope, It's not on the outside. I actually clean the exterior surface periodically, I figured the plastic shield was degrading due to the flux. One of them is fairly old dating back to the initial offering or slightly before and has plenty of hours on it.

I wonder if you can replace the shield?

Anyone else see anything weird on theirs?

+1 on contacting Kessil, could be a warranty issue and you don't want to go screwing around with it and voiding any warranty you may have :D

I did however see a thread over at RC about some LEDs that caused the optics to turn brown, granted this were "UV" LEDs... and maybe the chip was bad and put out some real UV, but it can happen.

UV LEDs will photodarken materials by modifying color centers. Don't think this is the case.

My A150W (the 15K one) has nice clear optics.

Sounds like you might have a pre-production model. All production versions use glass. Shoot us an email with the S/N and I can verify for you.

Back