Jestersix

I NEED HELP FIGURING OUT WHY I CANT KEEP SPS

riding that edge there. You might want to raise it some. Small swing is normal. Numbers consistent isn’t good.
that depends on nutient levels. Typically higher nutrients can accept higher alk and vice versa. I run my alk typically between 7-9, but also have higher nutients.

Knock on wood but I grow sps almost too well.

20240321_080516.jpg
20240321_080506.jpg

How do you prevent the encrusting monti to take over the entire tank? That’s what happening in mine.
Only sure way is to never secure one to your main structure unfortunately. I had to hammer and chisel mine out before! Digitatas too. It's the pulsing Xenia of SPS.

Or if you don't have any other Montipora you could get some nudibranchs ;)

Only sure way is to never secure one to your main structure unfortunately. I had to hammer and chisel mine out before! Digitatas too. It's the pulsing Xenia of SPS.

Or if you don't have any other Montipora you could get some nudibranchs ;)

Yeah, too late. this is one lesson i wished i learn as a newbie. Its like landscaping, you have to plan ahead. Corals are hard to kill and its not easy to rescape with mature colony. My digitata are not prolific, but the encrusting ones are. Other species i wished i know better is Yuma (or any mushroom ) , rbta , zoas, and the worst of the lot is Pocillopora. I hate poci. those "things" pop up everywhere, in places where i cannot get to. its like aptasia. You can;t kill it. Anyone want rainbow pocillopora, let me know anytime. :)

If i were to do a restart or a new tank, i'll get only sps stick. Maybe the next lifetime.

Hello everyone, I've been trying to keep spy but for some reason they don't do good in my tank.

I have a redsea reefer 300
2 radion xr15 at 40 intensity ab+
2 mp40 at 50% reef crest
Nitrate 31.7
Alk 7.6
Ph 7.8 -8.1
Phosphate 0.19
Salinity 34.8 ppt

Thanks for your input
try and turn your light up to 60% but do it slowly

Back