Our mission

ich, maybe

Can’t say for sure, but that is compelling evidence of flukes if you saw something that looked like flukes on the bottom of the container.. Flukes come in all sizes. There are so many spots on the specimen container, hard to see what is what. Could be salt spots from what I see here. Are all those white dots from the fish?

Probably safe to treat the CB for flukes and watch your DT carefully as you have no way of knowing if the CB had flukes already or they were already in the tank. They are hard to see on some fish due to color, pattern and location. No matter where the flukes came from, assume it’s in the DT now. I can give you 2 doses of Prazi (its a powder) if you are around or you can try some of the other methods. Flukes should not be a big deal if you don't let them get bad, just a challenge.

Have a cleaner shrimp? It should help, but not eradicate.

Watch you fishes breathing and eyes and look up all the symptoms of flukes so you can be aware if they do show up and make a plan for what you want to do if they do. Keep watching for other signs of anything as you can't say it is flukes for sure at this point unless you can take a good Marco photo of one.
im watching the fish like crazy, the flukes should be easy to see on my hawk fish since he just sits there staring at me. im going to treat the CB for flukes. don't know which method yet. all fish seem to be doing well. nothing out of the ordinary. i do have two cleaner shrimp in the DT. i'll try the prazi. i assume they have it at neptunes. i'll be passing by there this sat.
thanks

im watching the fish like crazy, the flukes should be easy to see on my hawk fish since he just sits there staring at me. im going to treat the CB for flukes. don't know which method yet. all fish seem to be doing well. nothing out of the ordinary. i do have two cleaner shrimp in the DT. i'll try the prazi. i assume they have it at neptunes. i'll be passing by there this sat.
thanks
Hopefully whatever issue you had it is just on the CB and everyone in the display stays healthy.

I would assume Neptune has Prazi, they look to have everything else. Ultimate in San Mateo should as well. I do if you can't find any.
Watch for a bacteria bloom, especially on the 2nd Dose. Tank can get white and smell like bad Body Oder or Rotting Food. Not a big deal if you keep the water oxygenated but it can smell really bad. If it happens and you can't water change it away, I have a filter that can knock it down you can borrow.

Make sure you read up on prazi. You need to pull carbon and other stuff before you treat it. Also know there's prazi resistant flukes out there.

If you find my Gooby the purple Firefish Goby you can see my experience treating flukes. I found hyposalinity was a quite efficient solution, but it's definitely not doable in your display. Hypo might also treat ich, but I can't recall.

The humble fish guide on it is great. You'll probably want a very easy salinity checker to verify as you change, and a ATO to keep the levels down though.

How’s the CB doing?
i started the copper treatment today. once i get to the acceptable copper lvl i will then, wait three days then transfer to another qt from the same batch of water with the same lvl of copper. rinse and repeat 3 more times. i will then clean the other qt, let air dry and set up again. then do the prazi after.

i Would have treated flukes first since you suspected those. You can treat for flunkes during the transfers. Just add the prazi on the last day of one transfer and then the last day of a transfer that is 6 days later from first treatment. Only need prazi in water for 24 hours or so and they can be done at the same time.

If you haven't, I'd check out the humble fish ich guide too. It has guidance on different levels to do based on different types of copper treatments.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's any reason to do tank transfers if you're using copper to try and treat ich. The copper will kill any free floating ich, and the reason you wait is just to ensure they've gone through their lifecycle to detach. Once you get through the full treatment you then pull the fish out and are free to transfer them to anywhere else. You just need to sterilize the copper tank before putting any fish back in it.

I also read that copper attaching to plastic and tanks is a myth. It doesn't get absorbed and leach back out. It just needs a strong rinse and wiping.

Think it depends on plastic types and copper. I have dosed a tank with nothing in it other than plastics and glass. Watched my copper level drop while it absorbed, so something absorbed it. Maybe the ABS pipe. Cant say. Never tested for leeching though.

Missed the tank transfer and copper. Don’t do that unless using one mix vat like BRS did. Constantly chasing copper levers will drive you nuts over multiple batches.

Think it depends on plastic types and copper. I have dosed a tank with nothing in it other than plastics and glass. Watched my copper level drop while it absorbed, so something absorbed it. Maybe the ABS pipe. Cant say. Never tested for leeching though.

Missed the tank transfer and copper. Don’t do that unless using one mix vat like BRS did. Constantly chasing copper levers will drive you nuts over multiple batches.
I think the logic isn't that it doesn't get reduced, but that it's not getting absorbed into plastic and silicone. Where it can go besides that I didn't research, though I imagine it depositing onto surfaces would decrease slightly, and certainly any filter media would absorb, as could well, anything absorbent.

I meant the inverse, that it seems to be a myth that it's getting absorbed into the plastic and silicone and that it'd leach out rendering anything that ever touches copper to be permanently resigned to only copper treatment usages.

i have a 50 gallon that i mixed and am only using for the medication. when i make the transfers, everything will be the same

If you haven't, I'd check out the humble fish ich guide too. It has guidance on different levels to do based on different types of copper treatments.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's any reason to do tank transfers if you're using copper to try and treat ich. The copper will kill any free floating ich, and the reason you wait is just to ensure they've gone through their lifecycle to detach. Once you get through the full treatment you then pull the fish out and are free to transfer them to anywhere else. You just need to sterilize the copper tank before putting any fish back in it.

I also read that copper attaching to plastic and tanks is a myth. It doesn't get absorbed and leach back out. It just needs a strong rinse and wip

I also read that copper attaching to plastic and tanks is a myth. It doesn't get absorbed and leach back out. It just needs a strong rinse and wiping.
just doing the transfer as an extra precaution. maybe its over kill.

Back