got ethical husbandry?

If anyone wants a new gadget....Seneye Reef Monitor for <$150

I like the idea of having it to simply know the actual color spectrum of your lights, see if there's color shifting, etc... that said, I'm way too far out to buy gadgets for the future.

Do you run it off your computer, or the web version? For $150, it needs to be connected to a PC to work? If I understand correctly, it's ~$350 to get the wifi server version so it runs without a computer. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/seneye-reef-pack-with-wifi-web-server.html

If it could do everything for $150, without dealing with a PC, I would get it in a heartbeat.

Setup requires a Windows PC as does using the PAR meter. If you want to use the pH, ammonia, & temperature monitoring just for historic purposes and not "real time" notification, you can just plug into a 5V USB plug and download the values every so often by plugging into a Windows PC as the seneye devices stores the data and is downloaded by a windows application. There is no Mac support!

Web server is only needed if you want real time notification.

I really only bought it for the PAR meter, so I really only use the stats for historical purposes. plus the slides they use for testing pH and ammonia cost ~$10/slide and need to be replaced monthly. Not sure how long I'll keep buying the slides. I'm sure I'll eventually get an Apex controller.

How into the "programming" side of things are you? I'm kinda annoyed by how non-user friendly the Apex is. Hoping the Vertex Cerebra competition changes things.

How into the "programming" side of things are you? I'm kinda annoyed by how non-user friendly the Apex is. Hoping the Vertex Cerebra competition changes things.

Not that I want to spend the time nowadays programming a fish tank controller with two kids, but I was a software engineer for ten years.

How bad is it to program an Apex?

The Apex is like many other pieces of hardware -- it's easy to program, but you have to actually go find good documentation. I'm not a programmer wither and while they do have a fairly nice quick start guide, if yiou want to do anything advanced their documentation sucks. I spent about an hour messing with mine before I got smart and closed out their set-up guides and went and watched a couple U-tube videos. Then it took about an hour to lock everything in.

Back