got ethical husbandry?

IM Nuvo 20 Tank Journal #2

Hello BAR,
It has been a week since my first tank journal, and this last week has now been a testimony to the power of weekly water changes! My coral has been very open and vibrant lately and my fish have now fully acclimated to the tank and are enjoying it! My plan of action is to
1. Buy a new heater! I’m currently using one from a friend that quite honestly is very cheap. So I will try to buy something that suits my tank (Please leave recommendations!)
2. But some more SOFTIES! I want to get some green finger coral, pulsing xenia, a kenya tree, and some more frogspawn or perhaps even a torch or hammer! I am also looking into a small LTA for my clowns... and once again if there are any kinds of corals you’d recommend for my tank please let me know!
3. A Wrasse! With my clowns now in, i what to get one more fish that can get along with them and also get rid of any pests that may come and go! I’m currently thinking of the typical 6 line, but if there any other Wrasse or any other fish that you see fit in my tank please let me know!

Here’s a somewhat recent picture of the setup:
B71EAF51-E257-4EEA-AAF2-A884EE570BBD.jpeg

Once again if there’s anything that you guys would suggest please let me know!

Have a wonderful evening!
adbreefer

1. I’ve heard that heaters are the number one fail point so getting a good one is wise. If I didn’t have a controller that can monitor the temp and take some kind of action, I’d probably go with one of the neotherm ones.
2. I wouldn’t go with the Xenia or Kenya tree. Both are known to grow very quickly and can become more of a weed. Also an LTA (long tentacle anemone) likes a fairly deep sand bed. I don’t think it will be suitable for your tank. Clowns don’t need a host. They’re perfectly fine living their life without one. There’s no guarantee that even if you got one that they would go into it. Almost all the clown fish in the trade are captive bread and typically take longer for that behavior to start. Mine took about a year.
3. I had a six line when I first started and they are typically fine when they’re small but there’s a likelihood that as they grow bigger they can get aggressive and bully other fish.

Hello BAR,
So after the CFM, my tank looks a bit different....I have added a lot more corals. I just added them in yesterday and some of my corals that I had before are closed. Is it because of the new introduction to the tank?
Secondly, any recommendations for a cleanup crew? I have some hermits and a mexican turbo snail, but i feel like I should add more. Here is a very updated picture of my tank:
image.jpg

Hello BAR,
Unfortunately my clownfish died... Around 2 weeks ago it got its head stuck inside of my rock when it was looking for food, and after 3 hours of me breaking the rock, he was too banged up to swim properly and died... However, the tank is looking pretty good:

2AB73AA0-E63F-4EFC-9E47-9350060B46FA.jpeg
8CEF2FEE-3E6B-4512-A99C-C7EF83C7B3F2.jpeg
427A006C-1427-4300-9A76-1079ABB420A5.jpeg
149A50D5-562B-411F-84BC-AD461F5FD666.jpeg
BE9963CA-F546-44C1-B3F5-503170C74355.jpeg
D0BEE094-145A-4229-B52D-33022C485A14.jpeg
C9A323AA-88A9-4DD8-A62A-3418AFF40303.jpeg

I need some help with my livestock choices. I currently only have one maroon clownfish. What fish should I get that will get along with him? Should I buy another maroon to make a pair?

Hello BAR,
Unfortunately my clownfish died... Around 2 weeks ago it got its head stuck inside of my rock when it was looking for food, and after 3 hours of me breaking the rock, he was too banged up to swim properly and died... However, the tank is looking pretty good:

View attachment 14321View attachment 14322View attachment 14323View attachment 14324View attachment 14325View attachment 14326View attachment 14327
I need some help with my livestock choices. I currently only have one maroon clownfish. What fish should I get that will get along with him? Should I buy another maroon to make a pair?
Tank looks great!! and you have a lid so I’d recommend a Pistol shrimp and goby combo.

Hello BAR,
Today I made the biggest mistake a reefer could make. I called up a LFS and asked if they could give me store credit for my maroon, since I decided I wanted to change things up a little. So they did and I noticed that their selection for fish wasn’t the best and their fish looked sick. However the one dish that looked the most healthy was a Melanurous Wrasse. Before I bought it I read on liveaquaria that it requires a min tank size of 50g. But for some reason I panicked and just bought it. So now I have a fish that shouldn’t be in my tnak but is...
What should I do?
(p.s. I can’t return him to the store because he’s in the sand bed right now. And if I try to remove him then it’ll cause extra stress)

Back