Cali Kid Corals

I'm starting to hate ER Skimmers...

Nice units, but I had to replace impellers and at $30+ each is not smart business these days so I switched to Spray Injection (AquaC)
I cleaned nicely the RS80 and replaced the impeller, yesterday I took out the Sedra to give another ER a vinegar bath and the new impeller is already stuck without running the pump!!!
Any ideas on how to get it out? I already knocked off some pins off of the wheel by trying to pull it with needle nose pliers, mesh mod maybe? but first the thing must come out.

I enter the pump via the return with a flat bladed screwdriver and wedge it out.

If you don't catch the impeller when it starts to bulge and replace it (yes it's kind of a PITA) then it traps water in the base of the impeller housing causing it to heat up which in turn warps the impeller housing, then your screwed.

I do love Euro-Reefs though and run them on most of my service accounts, I can walk away from them and never really have to tweak them, vs a spray injection or downdraft where it seems they need a little more tweaking.

The impeller stuck was a new one, not swollen at all and now is stuck. I´ll do the screwdriver thing, anyway the pins I knocked off makes me think I should do a mesh mod on it if I ever get it out.

Thanks

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6322.msg80661#msg80661 date=1234457545]
I enter the pump via the return with a flat bladed screwdriver and wedge it out.

If you don't catch the impeller when it starts to bulge and replace it (yes it's kind of a PITA) then it traps water in the base of the impeller housing causing it to heat up which in turn warps the impeller housing, then your screwed.

I do love Euro-Reefs though and run them on most of my service accounts, I can walk away from them and never really have to tweak them, vs a spray injection or downdraft where it seems they need a little more tweaking.
[/quote]

When I was deciding on a skimmer, I selected the AquaC EV-120 for exactly this reason...I didn't need a special pump. I should also mention that the day AFTER I ordered it, I tried to cancel the order and get a ER instead...but it was too late. The ER starts of cheaper because it comes with a pump and the AquaC doesn't.

I don't regret it though. I find the AquaC to actually not need ANY tweaking ONCE IT'S SET UP.

And of course...all skimmers need cleaning!

Both are good skimmers (I think the ER is actually more efficient), but the $30/impeller scared me away from ER, I figured I'm already paying $300 for the thing I want to keep maintenance costs low and the only thing that might conceivably break on these things is the pump.

V

Back