got ethical husbandry?

Interesting Article

This article was shown to me by a worker at a LFS. I thought is was interesting and decided to share.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-622lionfish,0,1948447.story

Lion fish have been spotted on the East coast (all up and down) for some time. Although the way the author wrote that article you'd think lionfish have the same venom as a stonefish.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4027.msg48062#msg48062 date=1215098295]
Do lionfish taste good? ;)[/quote]
lol, I was wondering the same thing.

They are being found all the way up to Long Island during the Gulf Stream event. Sad really, but the gloom and doom at the end of the article seems a little extreme.

Or the walking catfish.

I was down in Texas ~20 years ago on a fishing trip, when I was out prowling around some canals, I noticed quite a few non natives in one of the canals. Not just one or two species, this particular canal had at least 10 species, this is not a joke. Someone must have dumped their aquarium out into this canal. There were all varieties of Poecilia, none were nates, several types of Mbuna, and what was either Haplachromis ali, or an Alunocara variety, some Astyanax, that may or may not have been nate. The water was clear and shallow, and I sat and watched for several hours all of these fish that were out of place interact in this little artificial river scene, very surreal.

Well the extreme part, is you have a non-native species that is a "predator" in a new area where there probably isn't anything that would keep it in check. A bit different then if you had some tangs or something that were non-natives over there.

However the bad stuff most likely won't happen for quite a while.

It's the final "That means coral ecology dies and algae takes over." that makes me wince, HTH do they know it will ever approach that point? It seems a little bit alarmist to me, not to say that there wont be an impact surely there will, but to what extent?

I say send a bunch of divers with nets out there with no limits on catch, lets get those buggers into stores for $3.99. Pixar can make a move finding Leon, about a lionfish that was born in the wrong ocean and longs for a day when he can live comfortably in an aquarium were it can eat all of the goldfish his heart desires. Problem solved.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4027.msg48171#msg48171 date=1215189773]
I say send a bunch of divers with nets out there with no limits on catch, lets get those buggers into stores for $3.99. Pixar can make a move finding Leon, about a lionfish that was born in the wrong ocean and longs for a day when he can live comfortably in an aquarium were it can eat all of the goldfish his heart desires. Problem solved.[/quote]

That's a good one, it even had my wife was even laughing.

You know stuff has migrated for thousands of year, even before man started moving them themselves. We may have speeded up the process but it was bound to occur at some point.. There is no way around this anymore, the cat was let out of the bag the second we started migrating. There's something like 30+ invasive species in that area, not just lions. Purple Tangs, yellow tangs, etc. all live in those waters now. Just like our bay has well over 100 invasive species, or the great lakes at 180+ (same number in the baltic see...they trade with the great lakes and visa versa). It's a price we're paying and going to have to pay for being a global economy. I say suck it up, catch some lions and lets get some recipes going :)

Oh and I didn't read the article...or watch the news reports or the special on the other night. They miss the mark so badly I just can't watch those train wrecks any longer :p

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4027.msg48178#msg48178 date=1215191310]
Oh and I didn't read the article...or watch the news reports or the special on the other night. They miss the mark so badly I just can't watch those train wrecks any longer :p
[/quote]I hear ya Gresh, it makes me yell at the teevee. You're so right on about the impending "global ecosystem", we need to get used to it. Look at the Euchs, or cypress, or Pamp-ass grass.

Back