Our mission

is 175w MH really better than 150w MH??

I like my 70w I run a 14k ushio, it works great for my 10g qt/zoa tank. I've had Acros and Montis under w/o a prob, they even grow pretty good too.

AFA 150w vs. 175w I think there are a lot of variables, one being bulb life. A 175w on an e ballast is going to last you a lot longer than a 150w on a "HQI". However, in most cases the 150w will be brighter, it will also consume as much if not more watts than the 175. Too many gosh darn variables..

well, there's also that new "PAR Monster" everyone's talking about, the Iwasaki 15K 175watt SE that puts out as much PAR as a 250watt, and even more when on an icecap electronic ballast.

Cool.. Thanks guys .

The reason I ask is because I have a 10G tank and a PFO pendant, which I couldn't sell for some reasons ??? .. The pendant support 175W bulb. Maybe I just get a 175W ballast and bulb to test out.

Anyone has a 175W ballast for sale?? ;D

Never measured with a PAR meter, but I've DIY a 70W pendant before and it's not too bad. There was visible difference between the 70W and the 150W, but the DIY was considerably brighter than the K2 Viper 70W.

For a 10 gallon, you sure you want to run 175W over it? A 70W or a 150W would be more than plenty.

No not really.. but I have the pendant already and since I can't sell it, might as well use it ;D .. I will trade the pendant for 70W or 150W ;) ..

I actually have an Aquamedic 150W and a DIY 70W sitting around that's not being used. I don't think I need to swap out for another; I'd rather sell them and get rid of some storage.

Here's the 70W DIY I made.
MH03.jpg

Doesn't stand very well since the top is heavy (you can see the zip ties holding it in place when I had it up).
MH04.jpg

Let me know if you want to try it out. I'll let you test drive it free of charge. ;)

Back