Cali Kid Corals

Is a phosphate reactor necessary to maintain an nuisance-algae free tank?

Does one need a phosphate reactor (phosguard, gfo, etc) to maintain an algae free tank? Assuming you have a mixed reef tank with fish. Not overstocked on livestock.

What percentage of a weekly or biweekly water change do you need to maintain close to zero nuisance algae growth? Assuming youre not overfeeding fish.

Depends on a lot of factors. Easy answer is yes, but not always. Not over stocked and not over feeding can mean vastly different things to different people. That being said, I think you want to do 15-20%weekly or more like 30-40%every two weeks if you are trying to forgo a reactor for phosphates. Not sure why you would be against using one though? They are pretty affordable, easy to setup, and they work well. IMO they are a key piece of the filtration puzzle.

So, I've never really used a phosphate reactor. My tank has 0.5 ppm phosphates per my Hanna colorimeter test kit. Dunno if I should bother with one as I have almost no nuisance algae.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you don't get algae and your corals are happy why bother? If you get algae or corals aren't happy then why not? I think stability is likely as important if not more than the actual number really.

Yeah i just bought a brs water saver 4 stage ro di unit to hopefully make really pure water for my water changes. Ive been using RO water but tests show 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates in the ro water.

Also i bought a 50wAtt equivalent 5000k led bulb for my fuge light hopefully this makes my algae grow crazy. Ive been reading that 5000k to 6500k is the best spectrum for chaeto growth.

Note that a "reactor" is not required.
While more efficient, also more of a pain.
You can easily add GFO to small media socks, and hang them in the sump.

I think I need to stock my tank heavier. When I first started it the skimmer pulled out a cup of nasty every day from the die off in the rocks. Now I get a cup a week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back