High Tide Aquatics

Is your refugium actually a refuge for things, or is it part of your filtration?

As I decide how to set up a new sump, I'm wondering if I want to put the refugium in between the skimmer/inflow area and the return area, or if I should stick it on a low flow area, ie refugium on the left, then the skimmer/inflow area in the center, then the return area.

If the refugium is used as a refuge for fish/corals that are being acclimated for the main tank, then it would make sense to take it out of the main flow through area.

If the refugium is going to be packed with chaeto, then it would make sense to stick it either between the skimmer/inflow and the return OR it should be refugium/inflow, then skimmer, then return.

My current tank has a sump that is three sections; inflow/skimmer, then empty space that used to hold chaeto but now holds only rocks, then return area.

With a larger sump, I have more options. I suppose that I could make 4 sections (though smaller) and do both.

Whatcha think?

V

The refugium can be many things. It depends on what you want.

Primarily the idea is for it to be a "refuge" for your amphipods / copepods. A place that they can re-produce / grow / thrive without any predators to deal with. Being in a moderate flow area will naturally move the pods into your display to constantly "seed" the display.

It can also be used as a filter..........ie........you now seem to have live rock in it. That will add filtration, as would a deep sand bed and Macro Algae. The deep sand bed and rocks will help with nitrates and the Macro Algae will help with phosphate as well as oxygenate your tank.

Any, or all of these things will still make a refuge for pods. Meaning........they can thrive on live rock.........or in your macro algae. So you don't have to have both. In my case I have a deep sand bed, rocks and Macro Algae in my fuge. So I am using it as a filter and a refuge........and to be honest, it really is a second tank. I have fish, shrimp, crabs, etc in my fuge as well.

If you want to house your coral........you are using it as a frag tank and it would need to have sufficient lighting. Macro Algae can thrive in 5000-6500K lighting, but you will want more blue if your gonna keep coral down there. In other words.....you need to light it as if it were your display tank to keep the coral healthy.

There can be downsides to some of these things. Deep sand beds are pretty controversial and some say do more harm than good. Others say it will be good for a few years and then become a problem. Detritus and such can build up in a DSB and so many prefer to keep the fuge with no substrate, or just "rubble." Larger chunks of live rock that can still have some flow through them. Macro algae will off-gas CO2 when the lights go out and can drop your PH......makes for swings in PH that can stress the fish. I run my tank lights opposite of my refugium to help level this off. When the tank lights go off.......the Refugium turns on.

Personally I like having the refugium. I feel at least having live rock and Macro Algae is worth using the area in your sump. Flow can be moderate without any problems as long as you have something to keep the Macro Algae in the proper chamber.

Prolly more info than you really wanted, but It's a good question. Good luck.

Thanks!

As the "second tank" I tried using it as such, but my current sump is acrylic and the coralline that grows (if you keep it lit for macros) on the tank walls make it impossible to enjoy as a second tank! But as an acclimation tank it might work out.

Good points, maybe I'll keep it as one thing and stick with inflow/skimmer, fuge, return.

I almost forgot I have to shove a CA reactor in there somewhere... ;)

V

Good topic. I'm also in the air about what I want to do but as of right now, from left to right, I was thinking of drain/skimmer, return, fuge, where the return would be T'd off to the DT and then the other end into the fuge with a ball or gate valve to regulate the flow into the fuge and eventually flow back into the return.

In my fuge, I was originally thinking of a DSB, chaeto, and LR but after reading this thread, it may be wise to just do chaeto and LR.

What do you all think?

Kensington Reefer said:
If possible, I recommend that the refugiums drain directly into the display tank. Mine don't at the moment, but I have had in the past.

Good point. That would be awesome! I think Jims does (Gimmito), but mine doesn't either. :( Would be cool.

When I build the new system I will have one smaller fuge that will dump directly into the display as well as a dedicated 100gal Rubbermaid bin of cheatomorpha. In the same system I plan on a standard 125 turtle grass fuge (it will not dump directly into the DT)

Are you guys saying just use one of those hang-on-back refugiums or something for "fuge work?"

I have to draw a pic of my sumps design, but I suck with drawing programs, even MS paint takes me hours to draw a few lines.

V

Vincerama2 said:
I have to draw a pic of my sumps design, but I suck with drawing programs, even MS paint takes me hours to draw a few lines.

If you have a napkin sketch, just scan or take a photograph of it - no need to be fancy!

How much flow will be going through the sump?

Vincerama2 said:
Are you guys saying just use one of those hang-on-back refugiums or something for "fuge work?"

V

Are you referring to the 'drain directly into the DT' comments above? If so, they mean to pump water to a fuge that is above the level of the DT and let it drain back via gravity flow to the DT. In effect the DT becomes a sump of the fuge. :)

Reasoning behind this is usually to protect delicate creatures (pods) from being mangled by a pump sending water from the fuge to the DT. Does that make sense?

You could do this by either tee-ing off the return pump or having another pump just to send water from sump to fuge.

Vincerama2 said:

V
If you have the time, you could try using SketchUp (http://www.sketchup.com/). It's pretty sweet and it's free. It's what I use to sketch my tank stand mockups.

denzil said:
Vincerama2 said:

V
If you have the time, you could try using SketchUp (http://www.sketchup.com/). It's pretty sweet and it's free. It's what I use to sketch my tank stand mockups.

If MS paint gives him issues, Sketchup is well beyond the limits.

BAYMAC said:
denzil said:
Vincerama2 said:

V

If MS paint gives him issues, Sketchup is well beyond the limits.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. :p

Kmooresf said:
Kensington Reefer said:
If possible, I recommend that the refugiums drain directly into the display tank. Mine don't at the moment, but I have had in the past.

Good point. That would be awesome! I think Jims does (Gimmito), but mine doesn't either. :( Would be cool.

You would be right Kris. I have a 40 breeder that gravity feeds into the 450.

Back