Cali Kid Corals

January 12 BOD Meeting

[quote author=Elite link=topic=2744.msg28868#msg28868 date=1198910520]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2744.msg28866#msg28866 date=1198909982]
..... But don't they also have meetings/events on the 2nd Saturday of each month normally?

[/quote]

Their regular meetings were always on a Friday night..
[/quote]

So? Have you thought of possiably they couldn't get a place until that weekend, or any other poosiability, other then a nafarious action? After all, they don't have a huge AC controlled room a local wholesaler lets them use. They get members houses and a pizza joint to use.

Did BAR try to work with them in recent months? Did BAR announce to them (MARS BOD) that BAR was doing a BAR only swap on that day and MARS shouldn't plan anything? It's a two way road and BAR simply can not occupy both at the same time, ie. you can't have your cake and eat it too.

IMO that BAR RC thread sure made BAR look pretty petty to me :( I'm embaressed over it to say the least.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2744.msg28878#msg28878 date=1198945394]
[quote author=Thales link=topic=2744.msg28867#msg28867 date=1198910254]
What chaps me is that they posted about their event without asking first - like all the clubs have done to aid in avoiding double booking just like this. Had they asked, this might not be a problem at all.
[/quote]

Asked who, the keepers of the BAR RC forum? BAR has NO rights to that forum Rich, none. Well, BAR can get threads stickied :)[/quote]

Asked the president of the club of the forum they want to post in.
The local clubs have always ALWAYS given each other the common courtesy of asking to post about events in each others RC forums, which has avoided the direct competition several times. The clubs have always tried to not compete directly with each other, though, IMO sadly, perhaps that time is at an end. IMO, direct competition lessens the impact the clubs have.

BAR made it's bed and now it's complaining about not having anyone to share it with, yet it kicked all non club members out of nthe house for this one. How do you think other clubs viewed that move? Think they feel great about BAR saying they can't attend a tradional regional swap? you have to ask youself, what would BAR do?

That is not what BAR is complaining about.
In general I agree with what you wrote above, and I vocally opposed the removal of the BAR regional swap, but that has little to do with my feelings about the current issue. I hope we reinstitute the regional swap, and I hope we can announce it soon.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2744.msg28879#msg28879 date=1198945811]
..... But don't they also have meetings/events on the 2nd Saturday of each month normally?

[/quote]

[/quote]

So? Have you thought of possiably they couldn't get a place until that weekend, or any other poosiability, other then a nafarious action? After all, they don't have a huge AC controlled room a local wholesaler lets them use. They get members houses and a pizza joint to use.[/quote]

Gresh, I think you are going off on something that isn't at issue.

Did BAR try to work with them in recent months? Did BAR announce to them (MARS BOD) that BAR was doing a BAR only swap on that day and MARS shouldn't plan anything? It's a two way road and BAR simply can not occupy both at the same time, ie. you can't have your cake and eat it too.

That is unfair and inaccurate. The local clubs have arranged meetings to not overlap, so there was no reason for us to check with them. We know their meetings on on Friday nights, and ours were on the 2nd saturday and that Seabay is on the third Saturday. Since MARS was doing something outside of their normal schedule, it seems it would be up to them to check for conflicts.
That said, MARS can do whatever it likes. However, IMO, it will lessen all the local clubs if we compete directly with each other.

Just a FYI before I answer the rest: MARS fragswaps have been tradionally no held on a friday, but rather on weekends, usually saturday ;)

What is over lapping? A meeting they can not attend? Mighty big of the club to feel even though no one else can attend, nothing else should happen that day :p

Was that date not a tradional regional fragswap date? Guess what, it still is and BAR is also invited even though they closed th doors on everyone else.

I truly feel BAR tossed the first punch, made a poor call and now is sufferring the partial outfall.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2744.msg28882#msg28882 date=1198947316]
Just a FYI before I answer the rest: MARS fragswaps have been tradionally no held on a friday, but rather on weekends, usually saturday ;)[/quote]

And there has traditionally been much communication to ensure that their swap doesn't conflict with another clubs events.

You might want to read the previous replys to your posts before posting more! :D

BTW, I don't think this has much to do with tossing punches, but more to do with MARS having an sparkly new BOD without much continuity with the old BOD. They say that the scheduling conflict was a mistake, not a punch tossed back.

Sure, but on a subconcious level, don't you think their attitude towards BAR would be greater or worse with the though BAR closed the tradional regioanl swap? If I where on the MARS BOD I know I sure would have that thought in the back of my head.

Re: January 12 BOD Meeting
« Reply #24 on: Today at 09:07:23 am » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: GreshamH on Today at 08:55:16 am
Just a FYI before I answer the rest: MARS fragswaps have been tradionally no held on a friday, but rather on weekends, usually saturday

And there has traditionally been much communication to ensure that their swap doesn't conflict with another clubs events.

You might want to read the previous replys to your posts before posting more!

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2744.msg28881#msg28881 date=1198946606]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2744.msg28879#msg28879 date=1198945811]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So? Have you thought of possiably they couldn't get a place until that weekend, or any other poosiability, other then a nafarious action? After all, they don't have a huge AC controlled room a local wholesaler lets them use. They get members houses and a pizza joint to use.[/quote]

Gresh, I think you are going off on something that isn't at issue.

That is unfair and inaccurate. The local clubs have arranged meetings to not overlap, so there was no reason for us to check with them. We know their meetings on on Friday nights, and ours were on the 2nd saturday and that Seabay is on the third Saturday. Since MARS was doing something outside of their normal schedule, it seems it would be up to them to check for conflicts.
That said, MARS can do whatever it likes. However, IMO, it will lessen all the local clubs if we compete directly with each other.

[/quote]

What replies Rich, this one? Can you show me where you, or any one else said MARS normally hold their SWAPS on the weekend? I see you and Elite saying they hold their meeting on friday night which is true, but they do not hold swaps on friday nights. Evey one I have attended in the past few years has been on a weekend.

What is over lapping? A meeting they can not attend? Mighty big of the club to feel even though no one else can attend, nothing else should happen that day :p
I think this sums up my views pretty much. If BAR had an open swap then yeah I can see the arguing, but IMO this is another meeting and that is it, just corals will be traded about, and non-club members are not allowed. Besides I thought the whole point (new direction?) of the club was to get away from the coral grubbing/hording/trading/free coral mentality, sounds to me having an event the same day as the MARS swap accomplishes that fairly well

hmm.... ok so I'm guessing my join date is after the cut off because this thread is the first I've heard of a swap during the Feb mtg. If not everyone is welcome then it needs to be removed from the calendar. I was planning on attending (thinking it was a normal mtg) but I guess I'm not invited now?? If someone from the BOD can let me know that would be great. If I have my dates correct my join date should have been just before the cut off but I didn't actually pay before hand (since I was waiting for a response to an email from the BOD).

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2744.msg28886#msg28886 date=1198949511]
I think this sums up my views pretty much. If BAR had an open swap then yeah I can see the arguing, but IMO this is another meeting and that is it, just corals will be traded about, and non-club members are not allowed. Besides I thought the whole point (new direction?) of the club was to get away from the coral grubbing/hording/trading/free coral mentality, sounds to me having an event the same day as the MARS swap accomplishes that fairly well

[/quote]

Again, that is not what the issue is about.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2744.msg28889#msg28889 date=1198954125]
hmm.... ok so I'm guessing my join date is after the cut off because this thread is the first I've heard of a swap during the Feb mtg. If not everyone is welcome then it needs to be removed from the calendar. I was planning on attending (thinking it was a normal mtg) but I guess I'm not invited now?? If someone from the BOD can let me know that would be great. If I have my dates correct my join date should have been just before the cut off but I didn't actually pay before hand (since I was waiting for a response to an email from the BOD).
[/quote]

Everyone is invited but you have to meet the given criteria to actaully swap. Very few BAR events are closed to the public out right. I see no reason why it should be removed from the calender if some members fail to meet the given criteria.

Here's the announcement thread with the cut off date (stickied on RC). The cut off was in Sept.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1206062

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2744.msg28894#msg28894 date=1198956393]
Here's the announcement thread with the cut off date (stickied on RC). The cut off was in Sept.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1206062
[/quote]

Thanks Gresham. I don't use RC much... if at all so I didn't see that thread. There was on here that I could have swore had an earlier date but I'm glad to have been wrong. I would have expected this to be posted here with some more details like buy in and any special pick criteria with a sticky of course. If there is a thread with that info please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Good to see so many people attending the BOD meeting.

I know these meetings aren't as interesting as presentations or frag swaps, but the club really benefits from involved members who take the time to become familiar with club issues and concerns.

So thanks to all who were able to join in today. Hope to see some of you volunteering to help out on a club committee or two.

Great job, everyone!

:D

I had one outstanding question I never got to ask at the meeting. What the hell was Rich drinking? Was it Reef Mud or something?

-Adrian

Back