got ethical husbandry?

Jebao mlw series wavemakers

xCry0x

Supporting Member
Curious if anyone has bought these yet - either the mlw or slw series. They seem to be a knock off AI Nero.

It looks like mlw is there 2021 model, the "m" variation is being applied to all their pumps as they move to wifi control with a mobile app.

Jebao MLW Smart Wave Maker with LCD Display Controller for Saltwater Tank Magnetic Base (MLW-5), Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096YRP46B/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_AKSZFK3JFHQDZW6HZZ2A

You can get a m series of the OW pump as well as I believe the cross flow also.

I just bought a MLW-30. Interested to see how it works.

All my pumps are jebao right now and outside of the gyres, they have all been great imo.

Only thing I dislike is the random flow mode is fully random - you cannot control the low end. I'd like it to be 50-100 not 1-100%! Lol.

Wanted to replace a smaller power head I had, so will be interested to see what the flow pattern is like on this thing. Plus how the mobile app works.

Fun fact the AI Nero was actually inspired (knock off?) of a pump by Waveline called the Wavepuck. Now it was never a bold identical copy like a lot of Jebao products are, as it was a bit smaller but it was close enough that one would definitely not be too crazy for thinking looks suspicious.

Pump came today.

First impressions are that it's pretty nice.

Broad flow, more or less dead silent right out the box at 100% power. Also much smaller profile then a traditional power head.

Was looking to get a broader flow pattern so this accomplishes that.

Trying to get better polyp movement on the sps without directly blasting them.

May end up replacing my OW-15 with another one to run one on both sides and sync them together.

Had more time to mess around with it.

The wifi ap is nice -- but completely useless for me. Requires a 2.4 ghz connection and I have a google mesh wifi. So the only way for me to connect is to get up and walk around my yard until it flips me to 2.4 ghz.

i have a slw-30 laying around if u wanna try it for a couple of days. no wifi.

Will see, Appreciate the offer. Would probably want to buy one more than drive to San Leandro ( I think I saw you were located there) and back :)

Normally I'd make a trip to AC out of it, but somewhat in quarantine lockdown with a newborn here.

Need to play around with what I have and see if I can get a flow pattern I like. Really trying to get a broad flow in the tank ontop of the directional flow from the other powerheads -- without getting another gyre.

Had more time to mess around with it.

The wifi ap is nice -- but completely useless for me. Requires a 2.4 ghz connection and I have a google mesh wifi. So the only way for me to connect is to get up and walk around my yard until it flips me to 2.4 ghz.

Will see, Appreciate the offer. Would probably want to buy one more than drive to San Leandro ( I think I saw you were located there) and back :)

Normally I'd make a trip to AC out of it, but somewhat in quarantine lockdown with a newborn here.

Need to play around with what I have and see if I can get a flow pattern I like. Really trying to get a broad flow in the tank ontop of the directional flow from the other powerheads -- without getting another gyre.
no problem. yes i am in san leandro. only mode i use is the elise.

Ah ok I lied, reconnected and got the app working.

Pretty cool, let's you set different modes throughout the day.

I was really hoping it would let me control the low end of the random mode though.

Screenshot_20210829-221805.png

Shot of how it looks mounted.

PXL_20210830_164907114.MP.jpg

Compared to sow-15

PXL_20210830_164856080.jpg

It has a really nice broad pattern. Will need to tune it a bit, it's starting to move sand around when used at 85%.

Now that I got the app working I think the extra money was worth it.

I loved the slw and they are indeed a copy of the Nero. Probably come off the same assembly line and the only difference I have found lies in the controller. With the “real” one the controller lets you ramp the pump down way way lower than the jebao controller but other than that same flow pattern which is super nice and wide.

Ya the lowest it lets you go is 30% on any of the different modes.

Definitely a fan so far though. Does what I wanted with the broader flow without the narrow force of a normal power head.

Like I've said, now I just need to fiddle with it.

And ya, I remember when maxspect filled the patent lawsuit against jebao it looked like "maxspect" was just a DBA for a Chinese company.

Back