Reef nutrition

Leopard Polyclad Flatworm?

PjFish

Supporting Member
Last night about 3am popped down to the kitchen for a snack and decided to spotlight the tank with a red light for curiosity. Haven’t done it in a while and got a surprise! On the back wall I observed this strange shapeshifter critter. Actually was beautiful how it glided pretty fast on the wall changing into all different shapes. It was very translucent about 1 1/2 inches long and I’ve never seen anything like it before. As I turned on the above lights to get a better visual it immediately started heading down the glass rapidly towards the rocks so I turned them off. Upon a quick research came up with policlad flatworm and photos of them that were huge! So when in doubt get it out! Grabbed the ladder, turkey baster and specimen cups. Mind you its 320am house a sleep so had to be super quiet only using headlamp lol. This tank is a 6x2x28H top of tank is 5’6 from floor why couldn’t be in one of the smaller tanks lol!!! Anyhow got everything ready flipped only red lights on and luckily the critter was still on the back wall halfway down but racing now again for the rocks below. I used a flat piece of plastic to redirect it upwards away from the rocks. After a few attempts got it with the turkey baster barely fitting.
Time will tell if I observe anymore on night checks.
Was wondering why I was loosing alota baby trochus snails that we’re breeding in the tank plus numerous hermit crabs makes sense now since these guys are predators plus go after torches!
So my question ‍♂️ can anyone I.D this as a leopard polyclad?
Also they reportedly cary a deadly neurotoxin tetrodotoxin (TTX) the same toxin in our california newt. Also puffers and other marine organisms.
I did wear gloves.
I could not find any definite info if this specific species classification carries the TTX?
If anyone know please fill in
Thanks
IMG_4390.jpeg
IMG_4389.jpeg
IMG_4388.jpeg
IMG_4387.jpeg
IMG_4379.jpeg

I think it's the same one that @Danhsj identified that might eat euphyllia:

I think it's the same one that @Danhsj identified that might eat euphyllia:

Thanks but this guys looks way different and gets 4 to 5 inches apparently

Last night about 3am popped down to the kitchen for a snack and decided to spotlight the tank with a red light for curiosity. Haven’t done it in a while and got a surprise! On the back wall I observed this strange shapeshifter critter. Actually was beautiful how it glided pretty fast on the wall changing into all different shapes. It was very translucent about 1 1/2 inches long and I’ve never seen anything like it before. As I turned on the above lights to get a better visual it immediately started heading down the glass rapidly towards the rocks so I turned them off. Upon a quick research came up with policlad flatworm and photos of them that were huge! So when in doubt get it out! Grabbed the ladder, turkey baster and specimen cups. Mind you its 320am house a sleep so had to be super quiet only using headlamp lol. This tank is a 6x2x28H top of tank is 5’6 from floor why couldn’t be in one of the smaller tanks lol!!! Anyhow got everything ready flipped only red lights on and luckily the critter was still on the back wall halfway down but racing now again for the rocks below. I used a flat piece of plastic to redirect it upwards away from the rocks. After a few attempts got it with the turkey baster barely fitting.
Time will tell if I observe anymore on night checks.
Was wondering why I was loosing alota baby trochus snails that we’re breeding in the tank plus numerous hermit crabs makes sense now since these guys are predators plus go after torches!
So my question ‍♂️ can anyone I.D this as a leopard polyclad?
Also they reportedly cary a deadly neurotoxin tetrodotoxin (TTX) the same toxin in our california newt. Also puffers and other marine organisms.
I did wear gloves.
I could not find any definite info if this specific species classification carries the TTX?
If anyone know please fill in
ThanksView attachment 48125View attachment 48126View attachment 48127View attachment 48128View attachment 48129
Thank you for sharing great read.

Back