Cali Kid Corals

Levi's Lil' 19g

Coral reefer said:
Aquatic central has it. I might be able to bring you some
They have Tropic Eden?

Kmooresf said:
Neptune has some as well. Looks great! Good job!
They do have a couple of types and if I don't find Topic Eden I'll go see what they look like in person.

Ok, I need some input.

1) Any thoughts on Nature's's Ocean "Premium Aragonite Reef Sand" #1 or#4? I don't want to mess with ordering Tropic Eden (yeah I'm a little impatient) and I don't feel warm and fuzzy about buying a bulk non-packaged product.

2) I need to install some flow control on 1 of my 3/4 OF drains. I can get a ball valve anywhere but I recall being told that I really need a gate valve to get good control. This is so I can keep the primary drain flooded to keep noise down.

TIA

A quick update. Everything is working good and the tank up and running. I added a ball valve to my return line and to my primary flooded drain. With valve on the drain and a custom siphon line it's dead quiet now. I can barely read anything on the ammonia test (it's just a cheap API test so if it doesn't change I'll get a better test to confirm) so in a day or 2 I should all clear, we'll see.

Ok I should be ordering a skimmer this week. Here is what I've been thinking. I think I've narrowed it down to these 2.

Cadlights 2nd Generation Conic skimmer 90-150g 20w (need pump brand) --its made in the US...
Bubble Magus new 5.5 80G-135G 28w? atman ph2000 -- Neptune stocks them so that's a plus

Just not sure about the brand
Eshopps Snow Series Cone 40-120g ? Sicce SK200

The owner was busted for smuggling corals so probably off the list
SWC Xtreme Cone 120 55-90g 20w Atman 1100

These are 3 others I looked at but more or less desided not to buy.
Just not enough
Bubble Magus BM-NAC3.5 Cone 179 25G-80G 20w atman ph1100

a little too much
Avast CS1 Cone Skimmer DIY Kit 240 with Sicce 100-200g 60w Sicce PSK1000

too hard to clean
Vertex IN-80 179 40-80g 20w

Coral reefer said:
I'm not a big fan of the sicce skimmer pumps personally. I do like the octopus nw100 for you. Cheap and dies a pretty good job too
Are you thinking NWB110 or DNWB110 recirc model?

I don't think the CAD Light uses a sicce pump but the BM uses atam

Thanks Mike. I'm REALLY leaning toward the Cad Lights 1150 2nd Generation Conic skimmer. I havn't found anything bad about it at all. I called them and it's all US made, even the pump so I am feeling good about it. It's $225 and has free shipping right now so not the cheapest but sounds like it's worth it.

Time for a Tank Update!

The crown jewel of reefing hardware! :)
I went with the Cad Lights TIA-1150 Cone skimmer and this is after 2 days. I just rinsed it off with rodi to make sure it was clear of all packing/storage dust and dropped it in. A few adjustments and it's skimming like a beast! I'll post a skimmate pic later today if I can. This skimme is SOOO quiet it's insane and I haven't had to adjust it since I fired it up.
Skimmer-day2.jpg

Here are a few inhabitants.
Yellow Clown Goby
YellowGoby-sm.jpg

Redhead Goby
RedheadGoby-sm.jpg

Emerald Crab
EmeraldCrab-sm.jpg

I have also added a few ric's (from Jess @ DC), a couple of single zoa polyps, a black clown goby and a ORA shark nose goby also from DC.

Here is my fuge set up
I went with the 5k 18w Par38 led from HD for lighting
FugeLight-sm.jpg

And somse chaeto for now
Fuge-sm.jpg

Back