Neptune Aquatics

Lifting RO/DI water 20ft/5m

I am strongly thinking of moving my RO/DI filter and water storage out of my office and fish room to the crawl space (actually it's an "almost standing" space) of my house. A big motivation in this is to use the waste water for watering the garden rather than sending it down the drain and also to reduce the clutter in my office.

I am stuck though on how to get the water from the unpressurized storage tank up to my office. There is a conduit I can use to run a 1/4" supply line up from the crawl space. It will have to go up two stories and about 20 meters total travel. I can't run a large 100gph pump because I can't use anything larger than the 1/4" supply line. For this much head height at the small 1/4" tubing size I don't believe that a regular pump will work anyway. I could use a peristaltic pump if I was only going to do ATO but I also need to do water changes and the duty cycle on peristaltic pumps I have looked at would require days to fill my water change brute container without burning out the pump.

Ideas?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-aquatec-8800-booster-pump.html?gclid=CKu9yLLZ7rYCFa9cQgodDS4AiQ

Pretty sure the booster pumps would fill the fill. Ask BRS, or Spectrapure or your favorite dealer :)

EDIT:

Spectrapure has a delivery pump:

http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/BOOSTER-DELIVERY-PUMPS/Deliv-Pumps

I'm not sure a booster pump will do anything, I thought they worked by basically using existing line pressure and simply exchanging volume for pressure. Although I'll admit I never tried just putting the input side into a bucket of water to see what it'd do :D

That said the delivery pump is a good option, if you can fish a 1/4" line, hopefully you could get a 1/2" line up there too, although you'll have less issues if you need to restrict your 1/2" line to 1/4"

Although (and I'm sorry if Spectrapure is a sponsor) but those prices are almost double compared to elsewhere.

An Aquatec delivery pump looks like it will work though I am still unsure which model to get. Aquatec has the lousiest data sheets!

I am going to have to see if I can move to a 3/8" line. The conduit I will be using is a 1" conduit that already contains an RJ-6 coax line and two CAT6 and a low speed serial line (used in days long past for an antenna rotator). I was going to remove the low speed serial to add the water line.

Note that there are solutions for the small tube problem.
A quick look shows that you can get 1 GPM in a 1/4 pipe at about 40 PSI.
So it might be better to TEE off some water first.
Meaning, run 3/8 or 1/2 pipe at the pump, with a tee, then a valve.
Some of the water goes back to the RODI reservoir, and some up the 1/4 line to your tank.
The valve on the line back to reservoir adjusts how much.
Hope that makes sense.

Perhaps you want this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Aquatec-Delivery-Pump-1-GPM/dp/B002WDO63A

Thinking more, that is overkill.
With flow rates for 1/4 tube in that range, seems you are better off with a standard booster pump, not delivery pump.
I think most of those booster pumps are in the 0.25 GPM. Not sure though. Hard to find specs.
Which is just about perfect for that tube.

sfsuphysics said:
I'm not sure a booster pump will do anything, I thought they worked by basically using existing line pressure and simply exchanging volume for pressure. Although I'll admit I never tried just putting the input side into a bucket of water to see what it'd do :D

That said the delivery pump is a good option, if you can fish a 1/4" line, hopefully you could get a 1/2" line up there too, although you'll have less issues if you need to restrict your 1/2" line to 1/4"

Although (and I'm sorry if Spectrapure is a sponsor) but those prices are almost double compared to elsewhere.

Sorry, you're talking about a different booster. These are powered booster pumps. There are ones that work on pressure, but my link did not contain any of those. I've use a half dozen of them, have 4 running at our facility.

Back