Cali Kid Corals

Lighting Recommendations for a 29G?

Hi all,

Getting back into the swing of things and looking to upgrade the lighting on my 29G Truvu (30"X12"X18"). Currently running power compacts, but I would like to start trying to keep SPS and weighing a halide vs. T5. I want to keep the lighting in a hood vs. hanging a pendant or an open fixture, which seems to limit my options based on space limitations:

Going the MH route seems a bit pricier once you factor in the MH light and T5s for supplemental lighting. Also, I'm not sure what might actually fit in the 12" width that I have available. All the reflectors I saw pretty much take up the full 12", so there wouldn't be room for supplemental?

T-5 seems to be the option I'm leaning toward, but I think there are only 24" bulbs that would work for my 30" tank. I searched and found a thread or two that seemed to indicate that this might be the way to go. No heat issues (don't want to run a chiller), and enough light to keep a range of coral.
Will 4X 24" lights be enough for my tank?

4 would be fine for most LPS and a few SPS. A six bulb would be better.

I ran my 29g for years on a 150w DE pendant and two T5 actinics. In fact I have that full set-up just collecting dust you don't mind used. IT just barely fits in my hood, but it did :D

I had no heat issues when I used a fan in the canopy sucking the air out.

GreshamH said:
4 would be fine for most LPS and a few SPS. A six bulb would be better.

Thanks for the response Gresham. I don't think I can fit 6 bulbs over the tank. At least not with individual reflectors. It sounds like 4 bulbs might not be enough to light most SPS. I thought I saw an old thread where Bryan was going to use T5 for a 29 frag tank, but maybe it's different with a actual tank setup with rocks etc. What if I were to only keep SPS higher in the tank, and reserve the lower part of the tank for my softies and LPS?

GreshamH said:
I ran my 29g for years on a 150w DE pendant and two T5 actinics. In fact I have that full set-up just collecting dust you don't mind used. IT just barely fits in my hood, but it did :D

I had no heat issues when I used a fan in the canopy sucking the air out.

Regarding the pendant - So, I would be able to "hang" it inside a hood with enough clearance above and below for ventilation? Definitely would be interested if it's a viable option and don't mind used (I can be a bit of a tightwad). Just would want to confirm that it's 12" or less in width. Feel free to PM me with what you would like for the set-up. Would be interested to know the height of the hood it was in. My current one probably will be too short and I'll need to build a new one. I'm in SF and should also be at the swap next month.

First last....what I did is I cut out a square from the top of my hood and sank the pendant into it. That allowed some cooling of the pendant outside the canopy and gave me more clearance inside. I'm not sure if it's my PFO DE pendant or my Sunlight Supply DE pendant that is not in use so I can't give you exact dims on it. It's def. less then 12 deep. I want to say 6 or 8? I can tell you it just all barely fit into my glass 29g tank. More tomorrow once I se the unit. I think I even have the canopy still so I ca make sure it'll all fit into 12".

OK, now your first paragraph... that is exactly what I was talking about... some SPS high up and LPS everywhere else :)

I have a 29 gallon tank with a 150w Sunpod (with moonlights) mounted to the top of the tank using the legs. Works well for my LPS coral. One thing to consider when deciding between MH & T-5 is the price of replacing all the T-5 bulbs regularly.

Good point... and one of the many reasons I don't do all T5. I only use T5 for supplementation :) Not to mention for a long time getting T5's locally was kinda hard so I would order them and nearly every order I would have a broken bulbs (I order extras just in case)

Do the MH bulbs not need replacing as often? Because it looks like thry're 2x - 3x the cost of individual T5s (Looking at 150 DE vs 24w T5). if I run 1x MH + 2x T5 for supplemental, it seems the bulb cost would be about the same as 4x T5s. Unless the supplemental lighting doesn't need replacement as often...

Do you get enough flourescence with the sunpod without supplemental beyond the moonlights?

Thanks again for the input.

My actinics I replace every year or so, same with MH bulb.

If I were running pure T5 I would probably be swapping out at 6 - 9 months (when ever I saw a PAR drop off and a color shift).

georgec said:
Do you get enough flourescence with the sunpod without supplemental beyond the moonlights?
With the Sunpod, the coverage in the center is great, all the way down to the sandbed. At the far edges, the hammer coral has to extend toward the light. I should bring my camera to the office and take some photos to show the light spread. Probably an ideal fixture would be something like Gresham mentioned-- a MH with T5s for extra coverage.

Here's a photo showing the Sunpod's coverage:
P1040001.jpg

georgec said:
I don't think I can fit 6 bulbs over the tank. At least not with individual reflectors. It sounds like 4 bulbs might not be enough to light most SPS.
Note that 4 bulbs with individual reflectors is likely more powerful than 6 bulbs without individual reflectors.
(Depends on exact reflector/etc)
Also, if DIY, check around, there are individual reflectors that are a bit thinner. Forget brand though.

I think you can go either way though.

T5 bulbs are roughly $20.00. Assuming it's 30" it's roughly 31w per bulb

MH bulbs are roughly $50-75 each. Assuming it's 150w (no supplementation)

As Gresham pointed their really close in overall wattage.

It's advised that MH bulbs are to be replaced anywhere from 6-12 (when I was running them it was roughly twice a year)

T5 (assuming you are not over-driving them i.e. IceCap ballast) 12-18 months

MH will give you that shimmer effect where as T5's will have very little shimmer effect

OK measured the PFO 150w DE pendant.
It's 12" (13.5" with cord) x 7.5" x 4.5" tall

The reflectors of the T5 are 19" x 2"

You're looking at 11.5" or so. If you truly have 12" this will work for you.

I can help make you a bracket to mount the T5s to the pendent or you canopy.

I'll give you a great deal on all this as well.. PM if you're interested :D

Back