Jestersix

Lighting woes

I finally got off my butt and hung my Lumenarc, and installed my 15k Iwasaki. With great excitement I smiled as I flipped the switch... nothing. O.K. not the first time, I double checked my connections, switched over to the second output on my Blueline dual E-Ballast. Flipped the switch, saw a small arc, again nothing. I've since tried to get the stupid thing to fire, but to no avail. Anyone have any idea WTF is going on? I called Steve Ruddy from whom I purchased the bulb, and he was puzzled as well, and felt it should fire, anyone?

Try another ballast beside the blueline to see if the lumenarc mogul socket or wiring is defective. or switch back to your old system socket with blueline ballast. simply put try isolate to see what not working

Mogul is good, I have my 250w hooked up to the Lumenarc, and it fires. The blueline will get the bulb to arc but it will not completely fire. Time to search for a new ballast I'm afraid, my quest for a "small carbon footprint" is costing me $$$.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2784.msg29805#msg29805 date=1200095373]
Maybe bad bulb or bad connection.

Can the lumenarc fire a different bulb?
[/quote]

The lumenarc is currently firing a 250w off an M58. I redid the connections from the blueline first thing. When I talked to Steve, he said he'd never seen a bad bulb from Iwasaki in his 10+ years of selling them. I've just been to lazy/busy to hunt down a 175w ballast to check the bulb. So it's either the bulb or ballast, my gut instinct (whatever the hell that's worth) says for some reason the ballast can't get the bulb to fire. I think the ballast is not cool enough, and I need to get a groovy name brand ballast.

Also, the Blueline is an "electronic tar ballast" if you can believe, it that alone scares me. I just happened to get a "buddy" deal on it and paid next to nothing.

Eileen, if it's not too much of a PITA, I'd like to try out your Icecap, I'll bring you a frag for your trouble.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=2784.msg29833#msg29833 date=1200099484]
I think LordHelmet is selling a couple of 250 W Icecap ballasts.
[/quote]I really am trying to stick to my guns on running my tank on a single 175w with T5 supplementation. I honestly don't think I'll see a change in growth with the 175w Iwasaki bulb over my current setup (250w). Plus, I'm a fan of 10k bulbs believe it or not, I like to see detail, and not a florescent blur.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=2784.msg29840#msg29840 date=1200100069]
You won't like the fact that I just changed my bulbs out for Hammys again then.
[/quote]Do what you want, I'm in it for the smug factor ;-)

Hello I have a 175w pfo ballast if you want it.. Let me know.. It worked the last time I was using it on a frag tank.. You can try it out on your bulb if you want.. IF it works you can have it.. Frags at a later date will not be turned down :)

Back