Cali Kid Corals

Live sand storage life...

As some of you know, i always keep a bin of live sand wet and cooking for those spontaneous moments when I get inspired to set up a new tank on the fly. This has worked well in the past and never had issues.

Just this weekend, I pulled some sand from the bin to spruce up a bare bottom nano... and came to thinking... how long does it take for that sand to wake up... or whether it's technically still alive since the last time i rotated that sand or added to it was 3 years ago?

The tank seemed fine with no obvious spikes. But makes me wonder.

Any one have some thoughts or experience? If I had time, I would consider testing things out but I don't, and even if I do.. I HATE testing for ammonia... such a PITA with API kits

As some of you know, i always keep a bin of live sand wet and cooking for those spontaneous moments when I get inspired to set up a new tank on the fly. This has worked well in the past and never had issues.

Just this weekend, I pulled some sand from the bin to spruce up a bare bottom nano... and came to thinking... how long does it take for that sand to wake up... or whether it's technically still alive since the last time i rotated that sand or added to it was 3 years ago?

The tank seemed fine with no obvious spikes. But makes me wonder.

Any one have some thoughts or experience? If I had time, I would consider testing things out but I don't, and even if I do.. I HATE testing for ammonia... such a PITA with API kits

My guess is a just a few strains of bacteria end up dominating (maybe even just one). Whichever can feed off the die off from dead bacteria If you’re not ghost feeding it.

Back