Jestersix

Long Spine Urchin rehoming

They're reef safe with caution in my experience. Getting a spine in your hand is one of the most painful things I've had happen in a tank, short of a queen trigger bite and a rabbitfish venom stab. So don't work in your tank with the lights out! They also bulldoze frags (SPS, soft coral) if they're not secured well and can graze the edges of them if they don't have enough area to eat or move through.

I kept a hitchhiker one in a 90g anemone tank, but it outgrew that even after a few years.

So big FO system with no triggers would be a great addition. Maybe someone setting up a new tank that needs algae control. Or someone curing live rock in a huge bin with proper heating and water parameters.

It’s in a tank with sps and an elegance. Been therefor close to a year at this point. I would defer to whatever the general consensus is though.
I’ve only had them in tanks that aren’t mine and I don’t see everyday, but it seems like I wouldn’t want to risk it.

I had one in my first 40 gallon. That thing was a beast when it came to eating algae. It did very quickly out grew my tank.

Mine Killed a fish one night it got spooked and got stabbed by a spine. Saw him in the morning with a pin sized hole in its side. The spines are too long

I’ve been stung multiple times. The weirdest part is the stain the venom leaves on your finger. The pain isn’t really that bad. Bee stings are significantly worse in my experience. Lasts about two hours.

Back