Reef nutrition

Looking For Chaeto, Sea Grass And A Tank With Stand And Canopy For Hippocampus (Seahorses)

I'm looking for some Chaetomophra and Sea Grass for a new Seahorse tank. Any info would be appreciated. :bigsmile:

Also, if anyone has a tank apx 30-50 gallon, and 30-36 inches long with stand and canopy please let me know.

You can follow my seahorses live by clicking on my Ustream link below.

Bow fronts are not the greatest of tanks, especially if you are looking for any kind of custom hood. Making or getting a hood made will probably cost you at least 2-3X the cost of the tank. Also photographing and videoing it is very difficult as the bow creates major distortions.

I speak from direct experience.

bookfish said:
Please come and take as much chaeto as you want. We're overloaded. I got some other macros you can have too.

Sweet.

Are you the person that has the aquarium shop in Berkeley, and if so what is the name of your shop, so I can make arrangements to come to the East Bay sometime soon?

How many gallons depends on the size and quantity of the Sea Horses. How many do you have and what is their adult size? I tried setting up a dwarf seahorse tank once and I never really got past 2 months cycling because the light went out while I was on vacation and the plants deteriorated. I think there is a DBTC Other thread for Caleurpa Taxifolia. I got some sort of Caluerpa at Ocean Treasures Aquarium that grew into a great quantity (1' x 1' patch) within a week or so in my 34g. I took it out later after re-aquascaping. Green Marine has some awesome macro algae that I've been looking at for a while. I think I might buy some next weekend for my 34g. :)

seminolecpa said:
Bow fronts are not the greatest of tanks, especially if you are looking for any kind of custom hood. Making or getting a hood made will probably cost you at least 2-3X the cost of the tank. Also photographing and videoing it is very difficult as the bow creates major distortions.

I speak from direct experience.

Hi Bryan,

I saw your earlier post last night to ragdogz, so I think I'll change my post to a rectangular tank with rounded edges: I think that type of tank is called "Panoramic." The Krittertank I have now is as described, and my wife is pleased with it.

Thanks for follow my post and chiming in.

Euphyllia said:
How many gallons depends on the size and quantity of the Sea Horses. How many do you have and what is their adult size?

Hi Matthew,

I currently have 3 tank raised seahorses. I heard Tuberider refer to them as ORA at yesterday's BOD meeting. I believe 2 are White Seahorses and the third I not sure as I can not find a reference to it yet (and I've searched). It has a black body and has yellow banding from tip of tail to snout. I think that one may be of Australian species. There is a likelihood that I'll add more or different seahorses if they can co-habitate successfully.

I think they wont get too large maybe 3 inches, as this is what was told to me at the LFS.

I plan to have live rock, some corals and some pipe fish in it, so I'm not really concerned with the size other than it being too small.

I have the three in a 7 gallon Hex that serves as my refugium, and they seem to be eating well and going through some of the courtship and friending activities for a lack of better word.

I'm good at keeping things alive and want to continue that legacy, so I have all the back up systems in place to make this a successful venture. I've learned a lot about Hippocampus over the years, but I'm still learning a bunch as I go along.

I've heard good things about Green Marine, for frags, but don't know where they are located. Is that BookFish's store? PLMK....

Happy Reefing.

Reef Keeper said:
bookfish said:
Please come and take as much chaeto as you want. We're overloaded. I got some other macros you can have too.

Sweet.

Are you the person that has the aquarium shop in Berkeley, and if so what is the name of your shop, so I can make arrangements to come to the East Bay sometime soon?
Yup, Green Marine
1477 San Pablo Ave.

bookfish said:
Reef Keeper said:
bookfish said:

Sweet.

Yup, Green Marine
1477 San Pablo Ave.

Mr. Ugly said:
Yep, Green Marine is Jim/Bookfish's place.
http://www.greenmarine.biz/

Thank you Gents. I don't get much of a chance to go to the East Bay or Berkeley, but this may be just the impetus I need.

I'm getting closer to finding a tank. I'm looking at a Marine Land glass 56g "Column" 30L 18D 24H with pretty decent stand and other stuff for $249.99. Seems like it might be the ticket size wise; pricewise not sure .

I've been considering tearing down my 38g freshwater tank that I have had going in various stages the past 18 years, but cannot do so in good conscienceless.

Any idea how long I can keep these critters in the 7 gallon Hex?

Hope to get over to see Jim soon.

Back