Reef nutrition

Magnetic Scraper Strength

BleepBloopMunchMunch

Supporting Member
I like these magnet scrapers a lot, but have not been able to find one that works for my tank. I have tried both the mag-float medium size and the flipper scraper regular size (whatever the standard one is). Both of them are rated for my glass thickness, but I find their scraping ability not quite as good as it could be. Maybe this is just the way it is but I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to get the ones that are rated for up to an inch (my glass is 1/2 inch) would the extra strength magnet be somehow detrimental to my glass?

The tunze with the metal blade works well for me. I have 1/2" glass. If I move too fast or turn too fast it will disconnect, but I don't have to be super careful with it or anything.

Is the algae free one a noticeably stronger magnet than any of the others you have used?
Yep. It’s definitely a be careful with it type of magnet and can certainly hurt like hell if you accidentally get a finger in between. My only comparison is the flipper which is a baby compared to algae free. I use the hammerhead version on my 1/2” glass and switch the blades out every 4 months and has yet to not get even the most crustiest of build up.

Ok I will probably go with that then, the price tag is definitely high, but those magnetic scrapers are one of those little things I have come to appreciate greatly
I would say it’s value/quality is reflective of the price compared to others. I snagged it and hoped I didn’t have buyers remorse but I’m definitely having on on every 1/2+ glass tank from here on out. I also like how it looks in the tank compared to others.

Back