Jestersix

Magnetic Stirrer for Water Testing

I'm seriously considering making one. From what i've seen on youtube it's not too hard using a computer fan, magnets and a potentiometer.

Im definitely interested in using it for AcroPower automatic dosing, and its a potential cheap solution to ad a stirrer to a Kalk container.

Here's one of many DIY videos:

I wonder if the centrifugal motion of the water somehow would be any less accurate than random sloshing/mixing with certain tests.

A quick peek at Amazon shows a stir plate can be had for as low as about $50, and a set of stirring pills for about $9. ($42 on amazon)

I do like this one mentioned, if I were to change things, have a jack for a DC power supply instead of a battery. And maybe make the holding area a hair bigger, you could use some rigid foam cutouts to size/center whatever vial you have..

I wonder if the centrifugal motion of the water somehow would be any less accurate than random sloshing/mixing with certain tests.

A quick peek at Amazon shows a stir plate can be had for as low as about $50, and a set of stirring pills for about $9. ($42 on amazon)

I do like this one mentioned, if I were to change things, have a jack for a DC power supply instead of a battery. And maybe make the holding area a hair bigger, you could use some rigid foam cutouts to size/center whatever vial you have..
Thinking back to my college days (and seeing how the researchers work at my job) i think the stirring motion would be the best as it dissipates the titrant completely in the vial. We even used stir plates when studying acid/base chemistry for the titration experiments.

The longest shake time called for is 1 min iirc. Do you really need a magnetic stirrer to do that?

I can see using it for dosing supplements. Pacific Sun sells a magnetic stirrer attachment to be used with their Kore 5th doser. It turns on before the doser starts the dosing and shuts down right after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The longest shake time called for is 1 min iirc. Do you really need a magnetic stirrer to do that?

I can see using it for dosing supplements. Pacific Sun sells a magnetic stirrer attachment to be used with their Kore 5th doser. It turns on before the doser starts the dosing and shuts down right after.

Well for color changing test, it is nice to not have to shake after each drop. Yeah lazy I know.

The hue of the liquid changes if you change the amount of liquid you look through. A 1" cyclinder of blue is going to look different than. 3" cyclinder of blue. So if you can find a pill small enough to fit in the small containers the test kits use and either bend over or pickup the container to look through the side after each drop then sure.

After seeing the above video on reef2reef a few weeks ago, some members mentioned seeing a couple like the one in the video. I was then able to find 2. One is made by mfg. I think in Colorado with a price of 49.00' the other I found on amazon and it was about 25.00. I'm giving it some thought. If I ge it I'll post my experience with it.

Yeah, I was looking at the Kore for a bit just due to the magnetic stirrer for dosing aminos (A/B) and some others that needed to be stirred.

That novatech 9265 is also available via Amazon every once in awhile if you want to take a look at another outlet. I almost bought one not too long ago. It was like $20 via Prime.

I do like the one that Marc is using in the video though. Seems to be a bit more rugged in design.

Back