High Tide Aquatics

MaxSpect Riptide Gyre Pump

I'm intrigued by it, the design seems quite neat. Big concern on it however is the magnetic attachment, because some of us have tanks that are a bit thicker than your off the shelf 55g tank ;)

Also I wonder how honest that flow rate is. If it in fact is a gyre making device, in an empty tank you could get quite a bit of water movement that exceeds what the pump is actually doing since it would be adding to the flow every time it whips around the tank once.

Either way, if it's cheap enough I would take a look at it. If it's anywhere close to Tunze/Ecotech pricing I'm going to pass though.

Saw this at MACNA, it looks really cool. It can mount horizontal or vertical. However, they had an empty tank that it was running in. As stated, I would like to see it function in a set up with live rock.

The article mentioned that the large version would be $299.
Ouch.

Good question about how they measure flow. But that would really be cheating if
they measured the gyre.

Cheating, not cheating... maybe they simply say you can get 4000 gallons moving per hour *shrug* :)

If you don't have any sand, one of these low in the tank could hopefully keep all detritus off the ground giving your rockwork isn't too complex... I would like to see real world testing of these. I've seen the video of the guys office tank, and it's nice, but then again more situations give a better overall appeal to how well it can work. I mean ok it blows water across the surface, what about the entire middle part of a tank? Would it be a low flow zone?

Yeah, would be nice to see it in actual, practical application. The idea is nice and seems fairly low profile, especially if you mount it horizontally so that when you see it from the front of the tank, you only see a small portion of the tank being taken up.

Friend of mine in the midwest had his hands on one back in June, He said this power head is nothing short of amazing.

Last edited:
Interesting concept -- it's basically an underwater tower fan. :)
I'd be curious to feel how dispersed the flow is. One of the things I like about my WP-10s (and from what I understand the RW-8s or Vortechs are better) is how wide the flow is. This looks like it has the potential to make a very wide dispersed flow pattern.

Back