High Tide Aquatics

Media bag for BRS Rox carbon + GFO

newfly

Supporting Member
I used the BRS media bag. Mixed half cup of ROX carbon and maybe 1/4 cup gfo. RO rinse > 10mins and fine gfo dust and brown water still coming out especially when I mix the media during the rinse. The bag seems to have fine mesh but maybe not fine enough for gfo?

what media bag would you recommend?

I ended putting the media bag in a poly filter bag. I have a bunch of these replacement filter for HOB filter during my freshwater days. Some of you might remember The bio wheel HOB filter. Seems to work for now. Kinda silly to have to double bag it.

When you were rinsing it, where you kinda moving it around in your hand? The GFO grinds really easily and you were probably creating the fines you were seeing.

When I put ROX carbon and BRS GFO mixed to a similar ratio in a canister filter, then rinse with water through the pump (media not moving around at all), it all rinses clear in maybe 20 seconds.

When you were rinsing it, where you kinda moving it around in your hand? The GFO grinds really easily and you were probably creating the fines you were seeing.

When I put ROX carbon and BRS GFO mixed to a similar ratio in a canister filter, then rinse with water through the pump (media not moving around at all), it all rinses clear in maybe 20 seconds.
ah.. that explain the continuous gfo dust. Yes, i was moving it around thinking it will help rinse out the fines. Didn't realized i was creating it. i will just put in the the bag and let water run through it without moving it around too much next time.

Reactions: JVU
Back