Kessil

Melting/closed Zoa Treatment

CaseyP

Treasurer
BOD
I've generally had great success with zoas with some of my rock filled with hundreds of them. I got some GMK zoas from @H2OPlayar dbtc. For two months they've been doing great. 2 polyps started splitting into 8, then suddenly they're closed up and shrinking. This has been going on for the past week now with no other corals in my tank looking stressed. I kept them at mid level and just moved them down to the sand in case lighting was strong. I don't see any pests like aiptasia around or other corals within stinging reach.

Any ideas why zoas do this and any remedy? Really hoping I can save these since they're a higher end strain :(

PXL_20220219_221111719~2.jpg

Last edited:
There are enough polyps there you could frag it too. Take rock cutters between the polys and re-glue the frags to other plugs. My guess is either a fish got a taste for zoas, or some chemical warfare between corals if everything was happy then all of a sudden not.

Do you run carbon? Maybe throw some new carbon in?

Thanks for the input. Changed out my RODI cartridges and did a 20% water change. Not currently running carbon so no change there. Also did a chemi clean dip. We shall see tomorrow! If no improvement I'll frag and salvage some of the polyps in someone else's tank.

tbh they're looking pretty bad today with the big polyp pretty much gone. I think their likelihood of perishing may outweigh driving roundtrip between Dublin and Sunnyvale. I am coming down to south bay next Saturday so can hand them off if they make it until then. If anyone closer wants to pick up I'll break off some polyps.

Going to do another water change today. One acro colony started bleaching at the base last night so something may be off. All other corals are fine still.

Back