Neptune Aquatics

Michael's 300 In Vegas

" One idea was to make a wall out of small rocks and either sand or bare bottom the last 1/4 of the tank."

That'd be cool. Would look like a beach. I did it on mine and loving it. People ask about it more than anything.

Working on rock shapes and structures. Thanks to @Coral reefer for the great pieces. Most of them made it mostly. Now time for epoxy sticks and super glue to make it taller and more interesting.

I was debating on doing something different for the substrate. One idea was to make a wall out of small rocks and either sand or bare bottom the last 1/4 of the tank. I know things will move and change but it could make for a cool effect. I'm leaning towards trying a little bare bottom, then 3/4 of the tank has crushed coral.

View attachment 55015View attachment 55016
Bare bottom in a tank that deep seems perilous. My frag tank is bare bottom and gets covered in coraline and vermetid tubes. Not a problem necessarily, but likely won't look like a bare bottom for long and would be very difficult to clean in that deep a tank.

I'd go for a sand area personally. For awhile I was going to do what you're saying here in my display, but after that frag tank I figured the effect wouldn't last. However, in my current tank there's an area that gets blasted free of sand by my gyre and that stays clean because it is only temporarily clear.

Looking good! Are you starting with all dry rock, or what's your plan there?
I have some of my biome from my big tank that I drove out here, and got some more crushed coral I am "cooking". So the structures will be dry, then I'll likely have the sump and a pile of live rock in the corner. I learned from my last system that the structure changes every year or so anyway so don't get too attached to any one part.

That'd be cool. Would look like a beach. I did it on mine and loving it. People ask about it more than anything.
How did you make your wall? Feel free to just direct me to the page in your journal where you talk about it ;)

I'm thinking 2x4's, crushed coral, and clear epoxy to make a 3-4" tall wall to try to keep the sand in place.

Last edited:
Back