Neptune Aquatics

Might be changing salt mixes.

First, I’m jealous that you found a MJ-1200. (The Cobalt brand one not actual maxi jet which is a lower quality pump). They seem always sold out. I can’t believe the amount of junk you are filtering out, I have never seen anything similar with Red Sea blue or fritz blue (or tropic Marin). I wonder if using a lid and wiping down the container with RODI between every 2 or so uses has prevented the creeping crud for my case?

I have a supply of MJ pumps in the garage.

Fritz, IO, Red Sea are all dirty. Tropic marine, ESV and HW are probably the only "clean" ones. Wiping down will not matter, they truely just aren't as clean as you may think. Now to be honest, does it really hurt anything? Probably not because there are plenty of examples of great tanks that don't run it through a sediment filter. Why do I do it? It just makes be feel better that I'm "cleaning it" for the coral and fish.

I need to rethink if the switch is worth it. I may just stick with instant ocean and dose. I need to figure out the cost basis with the added dosing the instant ocean needs.

Cost is really all gonna be pretty close unless you’re changing tons of water all the time. I would choose based on other things like parameters, speed/cleanliness of mix, etc... more than cost

Cost is really all gonna be pretty close unless you’re changing tons of water all the time. I would choose based on other things like parameters, speed/cleanliness of mix, etc... more than cost

I did the math and the difference between Red Sea ( org blue and black labels) and instant ocean original is $14.90 after you add the necessary magnesium supplement.

this is based on 37.00 a bucket for instant ocean on sale and 17.49 for pharma magnesium supplement from brs

Like I said. Not much. Hoping you did the math right based on how many gal you actually get out of those buckets at 35 ppt

I used brs salt test price comparison video. They tested how many actual gallons of salt water they got out of a bucket @ 35ppt or 1.025sg.

I adjusted for current price.

I then took a measurement of the current magnesium of a freshly mixed batch of salt
Of instant ocean regular. It was was 1260 magnesium.

I calculated the per fl oz cost I needed to raise the magnesium to 1390 using brs pharma magnesium supplement.

Last edited:
Back