High Tide Aquatics

Mixing anthias (was: ID this male Anthias)

richiev

Supporting Member
Awhile back I bought 3 anthias, under the assumption they were one male and two female lyretails. I didn't honestly look at them very closely and took them home. Eventually I realized one female was a square spot, and it eventually turned into a male. I didn't actually see any aggression between it and the other male, so I shrugged it off.

Now however I'm not clear what the other male actually is. It looks very similar to a male lyretail, but it doesn't have the long top streamer fin.

Could I get some assistance ID'ing this? Pics in https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiSBQFRnu2gekJHA7

PXL_20240330_205600530.jpg

PXL_20240330_205822518.jpg

Last edited:
Taking the picture to do this post, let me be able to google image search it, which makes me think it's a Red Fairy Anthias?

6110525__66852.jpg

How bad would it be if I got 2 more lyretails, with the current female lyretail and this guy? Either 2 females or a male and a female.

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident now it's that Red Fairy. Interesting they seem less common than others.

So now that question. I'm going to add two more anthias. That would be 3 lyretail and one Red Fairy male.

Should I do:

A. One male lyretail, one female lyretail
B. Two female lyretails

I'm pretty confident now it's that Red Fairy. Interesting they seem less common than others.

So now that question. I'm going to add two more anthias. That would be 3 lyretail and one Red Fairy male.

Should I do:

A. One male lyretail, one female lyretail
B. Two female lyretails

The demand isn't there as much as fancier ones, so less get brought in. Exporters tend to use them as box fillers.

Back