Kessil

Moving Skimmer Location

The skimmer that came with my second hand setup is a HOB that is on the side of the sump. Because of this the water level of the sump needs to be fairly high to feed the skimmer and reduce the noise level of the skimmer return. I’d like to move the skimmer to HOB of the DT that way I can lower the water in the sump and eliminate the chance of sump overflow in case of power outage.

Would this seriously impact the efficiency of the skimmer not having surface skimmed water to work with?

-Gregory

My 29 gallon used to have a hang-on skimmer (without a surface skimmer) and no sump. I noticed a film develop on the water's surface. Since I drilled the tank and added a sump (with a skimmer inside the sump), the water appears clearer. I'd recommend an in-sump skimmer.

You could also build aboxin your sump around the skimmer intake, send your return into the box and have it overflow into the sump. Then you can run your sump at a lower level.

Longterm I'm going to go with a new sump and an in-sump skimmer (when funds allow). The stand has a support divider in the middle making it very difficult to work with and the current sump is too big to fit and hangs out the back. It looks really messy and thrown together. ......in the meantime I'm going to move the skimmer to HOB the DT and increase the surface aggitation with a couple more powerheads. The tank need some more flow anyway so this is as good reason as any to do it.

Can support dividers in stands be cut out and reinforced by other means? The stand is 48" so cut in 1/2 doesn't leave much space for equipment.

-Gregory

for your skimmer issue what type do you have? but what I and some others I know have done is just extend the plumbing for the pump and intake. IE:the pump is inside the tank and you just add a little extra hose or pipe to make it sit lower into the sump. its just a thought and keeps your DT looking clean :)

The skimmer is a eshoppe and the pump is on the outside of the skimmer. Extending the plumbing is an intersting idea (not used to pluming/thinking this way). The only possible draw back is priming the pump. It really seems to have issues with pulling from low water levels. It's one of the reasons why the level is so high.

-Gregory

Back