Neptune Aquatics

My Frags

Hi, I went out a couple of days ago and bought xenia. It is really nice and full! when I was moving it around I decided to move some rocks and since they were small rocks right under my big polyp rock, They had polyps all over them! I pulled about four polyps off the rock and stuck them in a small hole. Another rock that had one small polyp growing is movable and I moved into a nice, lighted, friendly position. I'm going to grow it out for the next frag swap. I'm guessing by then I have lots of xenia, about 6 different types of polyps, and 2 types of loose mushrooms! (I might even have a few coco worms because they are growing all over my aquarium). My mushrooms fall off and replenish them selfs after a month or two so I'll have a bunch of those! I'll post some pictures later.

Did you get the needed test kits (working Ca, Mg, Alk), figure out all your problems (know them, not guess them), correct the problems, and stabilize the tank?

NOTHING GOOD IN REEFING HAPPENS FAST.

i also have a small rock of about 15 medium polyps that should be about 25 polyps and medium-large sized by the time of frag swap. I bought it for 20$ so if it grow as well as I hope it does it might be looking like a $35 - $45 piece. I'll post a current picture of it later!

Yes, but I could sell it back to the LFS for that amount probably.
But can't you sell coral there anyways? I know the main idea is to trade but it says you can BUY and SELL.

You would be extremely lucky if you can trade it back for 50% of the price that you paid. A lot of stores don't even let you trade in.

Well, maby they'd buy it for a bit less but my LFS does. I'm going to put the corals in the frag swap though. When is the next frag swap anyways???

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=4616.msg56397#msg56397 date=1222130086]
Well, maby they'd buy it for a bit less but my LFS does.[/quote]

Well, that's pretty nice of them :D

How do they make any money off of it though??

ya the shop that i work at buys the coral back at cost. If we let people have what they paid for it, everytime someone wanted something new they would just trade up. or grow it out, get a frag, and then sell the main colony back. What shop are you going to that lets you trade in for full value? Just curious to know if i go there or not.

Probally the only thing that is taken back at full cost is damsels, and thats on the owner. I tell her not to but she does anyway.

No, I mean that in a year, it might be big enough where i can sell it back to them for some money to buy something else with. I probably won't sell it back tho. They give back 50% of items cost if you want to return it.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=4616.msg56388#msg56388 date=1222122525]
But can't you sell coral there anyways? I know the main idea is to trade but it says you can BUY and SELL.
[/quote]
AFAIK the swaps are/ were definitely not the place for selling/ buying coral. That would be antithetical to the whole concept of the swaps. And the main idea is NOT to trade corals. Perhaps I'm remembering a different era but I think you might want to reread the guidelines. HTH.-Jim

Sure you can set up side trades and sales at the swap, but its not what the swap is all about. However, saying that you can't do it, is like saying you can't give out any dbtc's at the swap b/c it takes away from the swap.

Back