Jestersix

mysterious death...or just a magic trick?

So, I bought a smallish yellow coris wrasse about 10 days ago. Acclimated fine, and (I know I know....should've QT'd) added him to my display. He was the 3rd fish in (2 med perc clowns already living in there) in a 40g long tank. Watched him for several days and he never had any weird interactions with the clowns. Pretty much just ignored each other. Now about 3 or 4 days ago I added a med-lg lawnmower blenny and a scooter blenny. Things looked fine for 2 days, then all of a sudden no wrasse. It did have a habit of sleeping in. Even though there was a ton of ambient light before official lights-on over the tank, it never really came out of the sand until the lights came on. So the tank is an open top, and I do have a cat. BUT- if any fish were to be caught by the cat, it would be the clowns IMO. They are always hovering around the top of the tank looking for food and the wrasse moved a lot faster than the clowns. Also, the wrasse would be buried in the sand during prime hunting hours. So it could've jumped and the cat ate it, but I'm curious what would have spooked it into doing so.... And I can't find a body anywhere in the tank (minimal rockwork), so unless it died during the night while buried, I'm slightly stumped? Clean-up crew only consists of a few Nass. sp snails right now....

It's hard to say what happened. I did have my previous coris wrasse jump from my reef tank, but I am pretty darned sure the light spooked him out. If your clean up crew consists of some Nassarius snails though, I wouldn't worry about anything being left over in the tank :)

jumped>eaten or carpet jerky. Coris are not a suitable open top tank fish, they're flight is straight up when frightened.

As I've been learning....this is my first open-top tank. Huge change when I'm used to having fully enclosed canopies (4 sides wooden + 1 of screening). Any idea what would've spooked it though Gresh?

edit: and to confirm....they most likely wouldn't die while buried, right?

Awww man Ant! Don't say that.....now I'm tempted to go rake through all of the sand in my tank....Because I definitely haven't seen my Nass. snails gathering on any one area.

And Ant wins a prize...found the durn wrasse mixed in with a tangle of my caulerpa "roots" in the "weedy" side of the tank. 80% of it was buried.

Now there's a mysterious missing banggai....No more fish for me for a long time.....

Back