Cali Kid Corals

NB: for folks who brought corals to RTC in July

To those of you who brought coral to RTC in July:

Last week I discovered a huge infestation of monti eating nudibranchs in the large coral flat at RTC. The only corals in there came from my display and from you. It could be that my display still has the pesky buggers, though I haven't seen any evidence of them in about a year. Perhaps they are kept in check in the display but went wild in the new coral flat. It could also be that the pests came from one of you. So, you should carefully check your own tanks!

Jonathon

It's no laughing matter, but I am tickled by how closely this resembles a VD announcement. Your coral flat had quite a few anonymous partners in July! :bigsmile:

Not exactly what I wanted to see before a swap but always a good reminder to QT corals. Thanks for the heads up :)

A canary wrasse was the key to eradicating them for me when I had monti nudis about 18 months ago. Dipping wasn't enough as they always seemed to hide and then resurface after a couple of weeks (eggs are immune to iodine dip). Canary wrasse was relentless about picking them off along with every single vermetid snail in my tank. Thankfully I haven't seen either a vermetid nor a monti nudi in more than 15 months in either tank. Fun fish too but they do love to jump.

I had these buggers years ago, I thought I'd do the smart thing and have all montipora on one particular rock structure... well I spent the better part of 2 weeks going over the tank at night with a flashlight sucking the buggers out... as it ended up once the montipora were dead it was easy enough to get rid of them :D I did have one other monti on the far side of the tank, guess their eye sight isn't that good though :D

Reminds me of a particular swap event's donation that had a ton of those buggers on it, it ended up being a good teaching tool to show people what exactly they look like.

Back