Supporting Member
Folks please help me identify these critters:

1. Super creepy snail or nudibranch
IMG_9279.jpeg

IMG_9276.jpeg

2. Are these the dreaded flat worms?
IMG_9281.jpeg

IMG_9280.jpeg

Came along with Chaeto, in my quarantine tank. Want to know if I should just toss the chaeto out.

Thanks in advance!

The snail is great! That's a stomatella, one of the best clean up crew members you can have. The others are flatworms, much less desirable but eaten by some wrasses.

You can swish the chaeto in fresh water to knock loose the flatworms before you put it into your refugium. Or even go strand by strand and inspect it before throwing it in. It grows pretty fast from just a tiny bit.

Thanks, looks like the snail is a keeper will dump it in DT after some more observation.

Will inspect the chaeto more thoroughly, I like the idea of fresh water dip.

I think those white flatworms are pretty harmless. I see them occasionally, they come and go. I think they mostly just eat detritus and are not the dreaded acro eating type.

In my experience:
flatworms are never good
Small population is tolerated
But unless you have fish that eat them.....
If the flatworms find your conditions favorable....
Problem

I do have a Yellow Corris (Halichoeres chrysus) in DT, but I really want to minimize any undesirables even if that means collateral damage of the good ones

IMO chaeto is too cheap and easy to grow to risk getting impossible to get rid of flatworms into a system. I would pull it all immediately, then just toss it and get new stuff.

Alternatively, pull it all out, take a chunk of it, inspect for worms or any obvious eggs, and then do the freshwater dip on that.

There's a bazillion folks here who can give you relatively cleaner chaeto in this group.

Edit: Also since it's already in the tank, the worms are already in that tank. I'd toss the chaeto to avoid it getting into your display (the dreaded 1 week later, "eh, is probably ok"). I'd also plan to do a full reset on the tank (it's a QT, you should be ok to do that).

Back