Our mission

Need new RO/DI unit, any suggestions?

My 15 year old Aquasafe RO/DI is leaking. Parts of it are rusty and I've undone and reattached the cannisters/water line enough that I think I've screwed it up. There is a small leak in it somewhere too.

Anyway, any recommendations on a good unit? I can probably yet-again refurb this unit, but maybe it's time just turn it into spare parts for a newer one.

Thanks!

Vince

The air water ice typhoon II is pretty good. Not sure what's best price wise. They are a sponsor and may offer some discount if you tell them you are a bar member.

IME, all units are essentially the same as far as construction quality (with some exceptions of course) the big difference is the bells and whistles they have (clear canisters, pressure gauge, etc)... although I will say it'd be nice to have one where you don't need to screw the canisters back in, I always find a way to not do it right, or the gasket falls out without me knowing, or... bleh... where's the snap canisters like the lids of those glass containers Costco sells :D

That said, you got 15 years out of your unit, that's not too shabby.

+1 on air water and ice rodi filter. Tell them you are a supporting member for Bay Area Reefers Club which they sponsor. He'll probly give ya a discount.

Check the tds of your tap water.

Im on that san francisco hetch hetchy waterline, so my water quality is already pretty good before hitting rodi at about 40-50TDS

Some people are on reservoir water/well lines that come in around 150TDS or higher.

Super dirty water requires more filtration = shortens filter life span depending on how much water you make.

Yeah permeate pumps are only useful when filling a pressurized storage container (i.e. for drinking later) when your water pressure is fairly low, booster pumps are where it's at, get your pressure output to soar, increasing speed of production and even reduction of waste water.

Yup and if you dont have adequate pressure, filters wont work as well and burn out faster.

Good pressure =
  • faster rodi production
  • Lengthens filter life spans
  • Better water quality
when compared to trying to filter with low pressure

I want to try permeate pump because I will also use the RO water for drinking. The distance between the RO -> storage -> fridge will be 20ft+. Booster pump will be overkill in this case so I want to give permeate a try.

I have been thinking that maybe I would refurb my old unit, but I think it's the Cannister (filter holder) heads that are leaking. Too much screwing and unscrewing of the cannister bodies. I had purchased the clear cannisters, but can't remember if they came without lids, but even if they did, those lids are long gone. I've seen places to buy replacement metal frames to hold the cannisters. But no places that just sell the lids. In reality, RO units are just chained together cannisters with the weird valve and an RO membrane.

Anyone know who sells just the lids? I could just get new cannisters, but seems like a waste since I'll use the clear ones anyway.

I have been thinking that maybe I would refurb my old unit, but I think it's the Cannister (filter holder) heads that are leaking. Too much screwing and unscrewing of the cannister bodies. I had purchased the clear cannisters, but can't remember if they came without lids, but even if they did, those lids are long gone. I've seen places to buy replacement metal frames to hold the cannisters. But no places that just sell the lids. In reality, RO units are just chained together cannisters with the weird valve and an RO membrane.

Anyone know who sells just the lids? I could just get new cannisters, but seems like a waste since I'll use the clear ones anyway.

http://airwaterice.com/accessories/housings/cap-and-o-ring.html

?

I have a new in box "Mighty Mite RODI" unit from AirWaterIce.com
It lists for $109, if interested make me an offer.

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 1.37.17 PM.png

Last edited:
I went to Air Water Ice, they just posted some new coupon codes, so I got all the repair parts, plus, why not, a booster pump and trying their color changing DI. My current DI is in an enclosed cylinder thing (looks like the RO membrane holder).

Back